Finally got some ducks!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovinlife, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been wishing for ducks for a year or so. A friend has to move and gave me all their fowl including chickens, ducks and a peafowl.

These are the ducks. I brought the kiddie pool that was in their pen, cleaned it out (it was NASTY, full of poop and stinky), and filled it with clean water. They had it dirty in no time. They splashed and played and dunked in the water for at least 30 minutes. I don't know how long it'd been since they were able to stick their head under water, but they sure enjoyed themselves today. It was fun to watch them. [​IMG]

We have a very large pond that I could turn them loose on with my parents' two ducks, but I'm worried that they won't make it. My parents have lost two of their ducks in the last month and we're not sure if it's due to racoons or turtles. We have both. No feathers were found on the banks of the pond. So, for now I'm keeping the three ducks in a pen with the chickens they were raised with. They're happier than they were before.

What can you tell me about these ducks?
    [​IMG]

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I'm so happy for you! Free poultry is the best poultry! [​IMG]

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    First it looks like you have a Cayuga, Buff, and maybe a Blue Swedish mix. If I could see the black ducks tale I could probably tell you if they are girls and boys. I would keep them in the pen, just for safety. Do you have a coop or house that they stay in during the night? That would be a good thing. They are very pretty!! Good for you for getting ducks.

4. lovinlife

I live in central Texas and my chickens have done quite well in open runs with a tarp over one end. It's hot hot hot here now and they enjoy the breezes under the shaded runs.

I do have a covered area for them to go under at night. It's basically the top half of a dog house set up on two cinder blocks. I'll post a pic. They are in a 10'x10' chain link dog kennel that is covered with chicken wire and has shade cloth over half and a tarp over the other half. It is secure and no predators can get to them.

I didn't see a drake feather on any of them. According to my friend, the buff one has hatched eggs before.

Here are some more pics:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the dog house.
    [​IMG]

5. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Very pretty!! You will have lots of fun with them!

6. lovinlife

I'm already having fun and it's only been a few hours! Yay! [​IMG]

7. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    I agree with the other person on the breeds, I think the cayuga may be a male, i have had males that lost or had their drake feather pulled out so the cayuga may be a male, still say you LUCKED OUT! Lucky duck!

8. lovinlife

Yay! Lucky me!!! [​IMG]

My friend thinks the buff is the only girl. I'm not so sure. I'll wait a while to see if any of them grow a drake feather.

CluckyJay is right, free poultry is the BEST! [​IMG]

9. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    The grey and white is a Blue Swedish duck.

Congrats on your new flock!! Nice assortment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by