Finally have all chicks OUTSIDE :)

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I just moved the last of the winter projects out of the house. My 5 little MFD's. They are now in a cage inside the banty coop. I'll put a heat light on them before dark. Now...I just have to destink the spare bedroom.

I swear I will NEVER hatch chicks in the winter again! I almost want to sell my bator just to make sure. almost

LOL I know just how you feel. I swore i would not hatch in the winter, but then got to thinking yea maybe cause I want them old enough to be laying late spring. Next winter they will be outside in a heated brooder.

I got my chicks, 50 RIR mixed run, and 6 banties on March 12. They will be 3 wks next Wednesday. I was planning on taking them out to the big chicken house today, but it is about 40 degrees, windy and raining. YUK. So they are staying in the warm, toasty garage until Monday at least. Supposed to be warm here, 65 degrees Monday. But this is E central Oklahoma so who knows, North of here 70 miles, there's a foot of snow.

I have mine in the garage, and there is a little odor, but I did get some PDZ granuales, 50 lbs for $12.50 and have sprinkled a little in the pine shavings, it has helped with the smell I think.

Anyway, I have decided to get chicks next year close to April 1. It is wayyy easier when the temps outside are warmer, I can open the side door and air everything out. We have had 85 degree days 1 week ago, but then, this is Oklahoma.

DonnaBelle

Mine just went out today,a sad day but I now have my kitchen back...yes, that's right I had 17 chicks in a 150 gal water trough in my kitchen.

Quote:
Or...you could move down here with me, and you can have them outside all year round.
big_smile.png

My husband is looking forward to the day we have our chickies outside but it doesn't look like that day is coming any time soon. I have a brooder with about 27 chicks in it that we are hoping to move out next week, they were going out this weekend but it's raining and I want to wait until all the bad weather has past. We were really looking forward to that when I bought 35 chicks at a sale last night, and 10 at the farm store today because I found some I just couldn't pass up. So now we actually have 2 brooders of chicks in our living room. I think it's turning into a vicious cycle.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom