Finally officially joining in here:)

ChristinLewin

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Hello Chicken Lovers!

I am a long term reader of BYC and have learned countless tips here so first of all, thank you for all who contribute and make this place such an amazing collection of knowledge!

A little about me and my flock:

I live in Central/Northern Maryland near Frederick. I am a professional photographer, I’ve got three free-range kids and 27 free range chickens on pasture with another 25-30 baby chicks between 2 and 7 weeks currently in moveable tractors that will be integrated into the big flock “in the back 40” in the coming weeks. Most of my laying hens are from hatcheries but this year I decided to start incubating and hatching my own eggs so that’s been it’s own adventure! ha!

Current laying hens include:

Buff Orpington

Light Brahma

Gold Lace Wyandotte

Silver Lace Wyandotte

Barred Rock

Cuckoo Maran

Cream Legbar

Cinnamon Queen/Red Star

Wyandotte x Buff Orpington

Roosters are:

Gandalf, the biggest Lavender Orpington I’ve ever seen and

Sapphire, the gentle Red Blue Laced Wyandotte who flirts with me at any given chance. He’s cute, but not my type ;)

Both roosters are hand raised from day 3, from McMurray Hatchery (bought both as one day one /unsexed for $27 each and of course two Roos ) and have been absolutely perfectly behaved, never even seemed as though they wanted to harm a human. Both are about 2 years old.

Currently in the “baby playpen” we have:

Lavender Orpington x 4

Red Blue Laced Wyandotte x 3

Barnevelder x 5 (Silver, Blue, Splash)

Cuckoo Maran x 2

Mystic Maran x 2

Blue Rock x 2

Ameraucana x 4

Copper Maran x 1 (definitely a rooster and he’s super goofy)

A bunch of mutts including Olive Eggers, Maran x lav. Orpington, Lavender x Buff Orpington, etc.

Currently incubating (hatch date 7/25) I have :

Deathlayer x 2

Pavalovskaya x 4

Silverrudd / Isbar x 3

Blue Barnevelder x 4

Silver Barnevelder x 3

Ayam Cemani x 4

Araucana x 2

Cream Brabanter x 3

Mutt Mix from my flock as a control group : 5

Most of them are shipped eggs so I am currently attempting a dry hatching process and have gained a ton of useful knowledge from these forums so again, THANK YOU!

In the end of the hatching and brooding period, I would like to have around 50 laying hens and 3-4 roosters if possible.

I’ve given away 19 babies at this point, those that were definitely roosters, or unknown sex which display the same genetics already established in the flock. I’m trying to breed in diversity while also maintaining the calm and kind demeanor of the flock.

(Knock on wood) we have very little drama or pecking issues within the laying flock and the roosters and everyone lives in harmony for the most part. Huge rooster is huge and as such, a bit rough with the smaller hens but just because of sheer size. Before the roosters, we were losing 18-20 hens per year just with hawks alone, but since incorporating them into the flock, we haven’t lost any hens to hawks which is awesome news!! The flock free ranges over several acres of organic pasture, and we move the portable poultry fencing a few times a year to rotate and lessen the burden on the land. This year (actually this month plus June) we’ve had a problem with foxes (lost two hens) and then a fat greedy raccoon who murdered my favorite Australorp hen named Michelle Obama, maimed a Light Brahma (that we had to cull because she was suffering so much) then returned the next night to maim a Cuckoo Maran (took her eye out and cut her waddles/comb) and Amber Star (sliced her earlobe off and damaged ear). I’ve got those mended up with blukote and back out with the flock and we’ve mended up the spot where the fat bastard was sneaking in so hopefully no more nighttime visitors to the coop.

I guess that is about it for now. I am looking forward to contributing here and of course, continuing to learn from all of you!!

-Christin

Attachments

• F046BE07-1BBD-4822-86C8-C8701A62F42A.jpeg
    F046BE07-1BBD-4822-86C8-C8701A62F42A.jpeg
    933.4 KB · Views: 13
  • F8C83078-5480-44E7-987F-970CC87E450D.jpeg
    F8C83078-5480-44E7-987F-970CC87E450D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 81AB9B6C-72C4-44D4-9B08-88B76A9CC4F3.jpeg
    81AB9B6C-72C4-44D4-9B08-88B76A9CC4F3.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 71ECD976-6ECE-49A9-9AFE-A64C626F732B.jpeg
    71ECD976-6ECE-49A9-9AFE-A64C626F732B.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 4
Hello Chicken Lovers!

I am a long term reader of BYC and have learned countless tips here so first of all, thank you for all who contribute and make this place such an amazing collection of knowledge!

I live in Central/Northern Maryland near Frederick. I am a professional photographer, I’ve got three free-range kids and 27 free range chickens on pasture with another 25-30 baby chicks between 2 and 7 weeks currently in moveable tractors that will be integrated into the big flock “in the back 40” in the coming weeks. Most of my laying hens are from hatcheries but this year I decided to start incubating and hatching my own eggs so that’s been it’s own adventure! ha!

Buff Orpington

Light Brahma

Gold Lace Wyandotte

Silver Lace Wyandotte

Barred Rock

Cuckoo Maran

Cream Legbar

Cinnamon Queen/Red Star

Roosters are:

Sapphire, the gentle Red Blue Laced Wyandotte who flirts with me at any given chance. He’s cute, but not my type ;)

Both roosters are hand raised from day 3, from McMurray Hatchery (bought both as one day one /unsexed for $27 each and of course two Roos ) and have been absolutely perfectly behaved, never even seemed as though they wanted to harm a human. Both are about 2 years old.

Lavender Orpington x 4

Cuckoo Maran x 2

Mystic Maran x 2

Blue Rock x 2

Ameraucana x 4

A bunch of mutts including Olive Eggers, Maran x lav. Orpington, Lavender x Buff Orpington, etc.

Deathlayer x 2

Pavalovskaya x 4

Silverrudd / Isbar x 3

Blue Barnevelder x 4

Silver Barnevelder x 3

Ayam Cemani x 4

Araucana x 2

Cream Brabanter x 3

Most of them are shipped eggs so I am currently attempting a dry hatching process and have gained a ton of useful knowledge from these forums so again, THANK YOU!

In the end of the hatching and brooding period, I would like to have around 50 laying hens and 3-4 roosters if possible.

I’ve given away 19 babies at this point, those that were definitely roosters, or unknown sex which display the same genetics already established in the flock. I’m trying to breed in diversity while also maintaining the calm and kind demeanor of the flock.

(Knock on wood) we have very little drama or pecking issues within the laying flock and the roosters and everyone lives in harmony for the most part. Huge rooster is huge and as such, a bit rough with the smaller hens but just because of sheer size. Before the roosters, we were losing 18-20 hens per year just with hawks alone, but since incorporating them into the flock, we haven’t lost any hens to hawks which is awesome news!! The flock free ranges over several acres of organic pasture, and we move the portable poultry fencing a few times a year to rotate and lessen the burden on the land. This year (actually this month plus June) we’ve had a problem with foxes (lost two hens) and then a fat greedy raccoon who murdered my favorite Australorp hen named Michelle Obama, maimed a Light Brahma (that we had to cull because she was suffering so much) then returned the next night to maim a Cuckoo Maran (took her eye out and cut her waddles/comb) and Amber Star (sliced her earlobe off and damaged ear). I’ve got those mended up with blukote and back out with the flock and we’ve mended up the spot where the fat bastard was sneaking in so hopefully no more nighttime visitors to the coop.

I guess that is about it for now. I am looking forward to contributing here and of course, continuing to learn from all of you!!

-Christin

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!
Wow, great introduction! You have lovely birds! Thank you for showing them to us.

Hello Chicken Lovers!

Buff Orpington

Light Brahma

Gold Lace Wyandotte

Silver Lace Wyandotte

Barred Rock

Cuckoo Maran

Cream Legbar

Cinnamon Queen/Red Star

Roosters are:

Lavender Orpington x 4

Cuckoo Maran x 2

Mystic Maran x 2

Blue Rock x 2

Ameraucana x 4

Deathlayer x 2

Pavalovskaya x 4

Silverrudd / Isbar x 3

Blue Barnevelder x 4

Silver Barnevelder x 3

Ayam Cemani x 4

Araucana x 2

Cream Brabanter x 3

-Christin
awesopme.jpg

It is nice to have a photographer here! Nice pictures for sure

Back
Top Bottom