Finally ordered AND managed to control myself and stick with 20

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
Despite my own ordering-too-many-chicks frenzy and the "helpful" comments of others, I actually made a final decision and ordered 20 bantam cochins:

1 black frizzle
1 white frizzle
6 blue
6 SL
6 white

They are shipping on the 24th and I am soooo excited
wee.gif

Also my frizzle's brood is due to hatch in 5 days and then I get to find a place to put them, and then I get to buy enough feed for all of them whilst trying to sell them on craigslist and somehow introducing the bantam cochins to the mother so she won't go into a depression when I sell all but one of the chicks she will hatch
barnie.gif

Now I just have to find time to do school...
hide.gif

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Only 20?? You're weak...
gig.gif
Just Kidding!

I only allowed myself that many because the chicks will be st run and I don't want to end up with only one or no hen of each variety besides the frizzles. And I was being urged to go with 25, which was tempting but didn't make any sense to me.​

It's sort of funny isn't it. Seems like with chickens, you always end up with more roosters. But if it were say a dog or cat, you know, something you wouldn't want to keep having babies, it never fails you get more girls.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

It's sort of funny isn't it. Seems like with chickens, you always end up with more roosters. But if it were say a dog or cat, you know, something you wouldn't want to keep having babies, it never fails you get more girls.

Yes, that is weird. But perhaps since dogs and cats are mammals (like humans) they produce more females than males. What was the male/female ratio with your silkies (if you got them as chicks, that is)?​

Quote:
Yes, that is weird. But perhaps since dogs and cats are mammals (like humans) they produce more females than males. What was the male/female ratio with your silkies (if you got them as chicks, that is)?

I hatched them. I have 7 boys and 4 girls.

Back
Top Bottom