FINALLY! Our first egg!!!

Yardbird Posse

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 3, 2013
It seems like an awful long 18 weeks but today at 3:15 this afternoon, I'm pretty sure it was one of my 2 Barred Rocks that left us a treat right next to the fake egg I placed in one of the 3 nesting boxes. Out of the 5 hens I have, the 2 Barred Rocks rushed back up the ladder and came into the raised coop and greeted me as I stood in awe of their little prize. They NEVER come in to the coop when I check!

Anyway, it's finally happening! I never expected to get so excited over it!!
ya.gif
Here's our small egg next to the fake egg I placed in their box...

Last edited:
Congratulations! :D Do you have a rooster? Cause if you do wait and see how excitedd you get when you get your first chickens!!!!

Congratulations! :D Do you have a rooster? Cause if you do wait and see how excitedd you get when you get your first chickens!!!!

Thanks!

We HAD Loretta....but she turned out to be Henry! He had to go, though. He was one of our 2 Rhode Island Reds in our 6 bird line up. We have too many nice neighbors, not to mention the coop is located not more than 15 feet from my bedroom window and Henry was just starting to learn the words to "Cock-a-Doodle-Doo" at 5:30 am so after about 2 weeks of that, I was fortunate to craigslist him for free to a new owner that needed a rooster for his very young flock of hens.

Anyway, I have a renewed sense of excitement now and look forward to seeing what tomorrow has in store for the ladies in the coop.

Last edited:
Thats a pity, maybe someday you could get fertilized eggs off some one and chuck a few of thoes under one when they go broody :D

My Little roosters crow at 3 am and set all the roosters off luckily we live in the country and no one seems to be bothered by them. In fact when i had my silkie rooster my neighbours commented on his beautiful crow.

Back
Top Bottom