Finally signed up.lol

Shell-in-NE

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
I've had this website in my favorites for the index of chicken breeds long before to moving to Nebraska, which was the begining of May. We brought our house almost a year prior to our move from Illinois.

After our first week we bought 2 banty chicks, as experiments. This is the first time myself and my long term bf have every had chicks in our lives.
While at the farm store a week later, the cashier commented that they'll be getting their last batch of chicken chicks for the season in a few days, so of coarse that made us show up that day to get a few more. We bought 8 .. 4 pullets, and 4 banties .. because of colors. lol
We lost one banty after a couple weeks.
So on hand we have 1 Barred Rock, 1 white Californian, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 pullet Cochin banty, 1 roo Cochin banty, and the other 3 banty roos I have no idea what they are .. but 2 a really beautiful birds.
Rock, Cali, Marilyn & Manson, Red & Black our first 2 banties, Boy George, Slash & Freddy (Mercury)

Out of all 4 roos, Slash is he only one who doesn't get along with the other boys.
If anyone knows what breed of rooster makes a popping sound for clucks, let me know. We'd really like to have some idea of what Slash is. He's very unique. His feathers are white with a thick line of black edged around it. Even on the tail. He looks more white than black. His legs are kinda blueish. And his comb is a double? From the front two seperate combs, but formed into one in the back and to a point aiming behind him.

It's already been decided that next year we'll get a few more pullets. Not sure of the breed(s) yet.
My bf said I can get a turkey
smile.png
.. And he think having a duck would be a good idea too. I did tell him a duck needs at least another duck friend, so for now it's now a couple of ducks. lol

We're really enjoying having our chickens. Never interacted with a chicken before, so neither of us knew the personalities we were missing! .. We're chicken hooked!

Shell

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, Shell. Love the rock star names for your birds!
gig.gif
Best of luck with the additional pullets. Aftert you have ten posting you can post a pic of Slash - someone on this site will be able to ID him.
cool.png

Last edited:
Take a look through the Breeds section of BYC. From your description, you could start by looking at the Wyandotte - there's a lovely picture of a cockerel there, and from your description it just might be the same. The comb sounds all wrong for a Plymouth Rock Barred, also black and white feathers, but sounds like a description of the Wyandotte comb.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom