Finally Started My Big Coop!!

Are your nest boxes under the poop board? How did you build those partitions? Looks very well put together and thought out! Good job

Last edited:
Brilliant hinged roost/poop board design!!

I wonder tho if using a larger roost board, 2x4 wide side up, might not be better for stability and frostbit feet protection come winter.

What's the spacing on the roost boards?
The roosts are spaced 12 inches apart. I have had chickens for about 11 or 12 years now and have had them on 2 x 2 roosts the entire time without any issues of stability or cold weather issues. When they sit on the roost they fluff up and have their feet covered with their feathers. Never had a frostbite issue and have also never had to replace the 2 x 2's yet. So my theory is don't fix what's not broken and I went with the same design.

Are your nest boxes under the poop board? How did you build those partitions? Looks very well put together and thought out! Good job
Yes the nest boxes go along that whole wall underneath the poop board and if you go to page 3 you can see how the partitions are built. The plywood is wedged between 2 2 x 4's on the bottom.

I must have clumsy hens...some of my larger hens, brahmas and cochins, really had trouble on the 2x2's.
I have never had either of those but have had other large breeds with no issues. Theres no issues with the 2 x 4's loading up with poop?

What a fantastic coop. Can't wait to see it finished. My coop is a repurposed playhouse. Works great for my 7 girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom