Finally starting my walk in coop. Want to follow?

Pics
Sounds good. Will you put the nest boxes under the poop board?
Thought about that too. No. The poop boards are 2ft deep. Considering that eggs will be deposited about 6-8 inches from the back wall and that I am 68 I don't want to have to "crawl" under the poop board to get to them. The nests will be to the left of the poop board. I will be able to put the dog cage underneath the board if it is needed. I can also hang food and water underneath if necessary. I don't want food and water in there but it's an option in an emergency. And I will be doing that for the first week they are moved in so they learn it is home.

Nest boxes inside to the left of the board and raised up will work well. Don't forget to have a landing board in front of them. I have mine inside the coop, raised up. I don't have to stand in the rain to collect eggs and I get to check things out inside.

Nest boxes inside to the left of the board and raised up will work well. Don't forget to have a landing board in front of them. I have mine inside the coop, raised up. I don't have to stand in the rain to collect eggs and I get to check things out inside.
Yes, that's where it's going to go. Chris (builder/son in law) keeps making sure he builds according to my specific instructions. He is amazed at the details, like the landing board! :lau
Or the slanted nest roof. Or the height of the poop board compared to the nests. He thinks I'm brilliant. Please don't tell him I didn't invent this stuff, I learned it all from ALL OF YOU GUYS!:weeThank you all.

Three nests.
Lemme tell ya, when SIL Chris builds something he don't mess around! I tell him he's building human home quality in a chicken coop! I can stand on the nests or the poop boards they are so strong!
20190701_180726.jpg 20190701_180758.jpg

Sweet!!
So glad to see you get some 'space'!
Might want to make the top of nests much steeper(at least 45°),
or they'll roost on there and poop it up.

Sweet!!
So glad to see you get some 'space'!
Might want to make the top of nests much steeper(at least 45°),
or they'll roost on there and poop it up.

:highfive:

Looking good! I agree with making the nest box lid steeper.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the roof is just sitting on top, not fully installed. Gotta go buy hinges to do that. It will actually be hinged at the top of the 2x4 that it is resting on. I will be able open it to gather eggs if i don't wasn't to bend so much but more important I can clean them out easily.

Back
Top Bottom