Finally starting my walk in coop. Want to follow?

I used a cut off too, well roll end place, but found many types broke easily when bent at corner. I chose one that didn't do that.....foam backed is best bet.
3/32" thick:
upload_2019-4-18_11-17-6.png

Progress today!
Son in law Chris is screwing down the last piece of 3/4 inch plywood for a floor. Just before he did this hubby n I measured, cut, and stapled down hardware cloth all around the edges of the pallet floor frame for a 3 foot apron.
20190429_123615.jpg

Of course he had help from his assistant Prince Smedley the bear chasing cat.
20190429_124411.jpg

The lower portion of the wall frame is next, complete with window gap.
20190429_134442.jpg

Hubby, Bern, assisting.
20190429_134532.jpg

Now a door frame.
20190429_140700.jpg

Corner wall frames with another window frame started on the left wall.
20190429_153629.jpg

Enough for today. Time for a hot shower and naproxen for bad backs.
20190429_153653.jpg

I'm so excited I can't stand myself!!!!
:wee:ya:woot:yesss:

Looking good @Cryss! :thumbsup
I suggest putting a removable 2”x6” piece of wood by the door so that shavings and poop won’t fall out of the henhouse.
Yup! Got plans for that. Also explained to Chris to leave the very bottom boards of the pallet in place to fashion a bit of a raised pop door for the same reason, preventing bedding being lost.
:thumbsup

Noticed some chatter on another thread about insulation behind osb being a mouse house. Is it a mouse house because of the insulation or because of the covered space? I'll be covering the outside of the pallets with plywood of some sort. Should I do likewise on the inside but without insulation? Or should I be leaving it uncovered to not make a space for mice? I just need to understand what the chatter was referring to.

Noticed some chatter on another thread about insulation behind osb being a mouse house. Is it a mouse house because of the insulation or because of the covered space? I'll be covering the outside of the pallets with plywood of some sort. Should I do likewise on the inside but without insulation? Or should I be leaving it uncovered to not make a space for mice? I just need to understand what the chatter was referring to.
Leave the inside of the pallets open in the henhouse so mice won’t make nests.

Last edited:
Leave the inside of the pallets open in the henhouse so mice won’t make nests.

The covered space....insulation just makes it cozier.

Yes, this!^^
Ok! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. I will probably want to paint the inside pallet surfaces.
Works for me and cheaper since I don't need to buy plywood for inside.
So far this project has only cost me the $80 I spent on hardware cloth. Pallets were free. Screws, 4x4 poles and 2x4s were repurposed from previous rejected project. 3/4 inch plywood was collected over time from frequent visits to Lowe's off-cuts bin. I'll try to keep updated on any other expenses as they happen.

Here's what i came home to from work yesterday.

The entire bottom half of the walls is in place!
20190502_181244.jpg

One of the windows has been framed out. It is a double glazed window left from a small remodeling job we did on the house. This window will be put into the space where you see the metal rooster.
20190502_181139.jpg

In the other corner Prince Smedley feels secure enough to nap. Pip is keeping watch at the door. You can just see where I moved the rooster. That's the location of another window, possibly a bit of an unusual window if I get my way. And I usually do.
20190502_180933.jpg

These windows will be hinged at the top to lift out for fresh air in summer.

I'm considering this to be my Mothers Day gift from the family. And birthday gift. And anniversary gift. And Fathers Day gift for hubby.

Back
Top Bottom