Finally starting my walk in coop. Want to follow?

They look pretty happy!
Why the waterer in the crate?
Normally the crate is for introductions or broodies. I won't be putting water and food inside once I let them out into the run again in a few days. Meanwhile, while they stay locked inside, the waterer isn't taking up additional space AND the tray can catch any spills keeping the coop dry.;)

Last edited:
They look very content.

Under your poop board is the perfect place for your coop brooder! :jumpy

20190330_110038.jpg

They look very content.

Under your poop board is the perfect place for your coop brooder! :jumpy

View attachment 1924588
Yes, I've considered that. I may at some point build a more permanent area there that can be used for brooding, broody breaking, and introductions. This cages openings are too big for chicks and I'd still need to affix some sort of chick doors. Not crazy about bending down much either. I like the look of yours! Gonna have to expand the picture so I can see details.

This cages openings are too big for chicks and I'd still need to affix some sort of chick doors.

I used a piece of cardboard zip tied to the door opening, on an earlier brooder, but you need to have a way to get in. I had access through the cover I made, on the dog X pen along the back wall.

In my post #184, I attached 1/4 inch netting to the cardboard, then attached everything to the door opening with zip ties. I didn't want the full cardboard on both openings when I made a bigger brooder.
integration 28 days old 2018 3.jpg

I used a piece of cardboard zip tied to the door opening, on an earlier brooder, but you need to have a way to get in. I had access through the cover I made, on the dog X pen along the back wall.

In my post #184, I attached 1/4 inch netting to the cardboard, then attached everything to the door opening with zip ties. I didn't want the full cardboard on both openings when I made a bigger brooder.
View attachment 1924897
This all makes perfect sense, thank you. The only problem I would need to solve is that my poop board is lower than yours. There is only about 3 inches of space above the dog crate, no room for rooftop access to a dog x pen.

Back
Top Bottom