Finally taking the plunge

Jua82

Hatching
Mar 1, 2017
After years of back and forth, this is the year we finally do it. We're buying chickens. We're planning to use the plans from thecreativemom.com, cut in half as we our city only allows us to have 6 chickens. We also have an unfenced backyard, so the ladies will have to spend most of their time in the run. My question is, given those parameters, how big should we make the run?
Chicken-Coop.jpg

Greetings from Kansas, Jua82, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community and happy you are about to take the poultry plunge! The recommended size for the run is to allow 10 sq. ft./bird. But bigger is always better when it comes to coop and run size. That and other poultry answers can be found in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It will answer a lot of questions you currently might have or eventually will have. Also, if you'd like to chat with local chicken keepers, find your state thread in the link below and pop over and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
smile.png

When chickens get too crowded, that's when they act out by bullying, feather plucking etc. If you live in a climate with frequent inclement weather, you may need a bigger coop., for days when your flock will want to stay inside.

welcome-byc.gif

How nice you'll be able to get into chickens this year!

As for the coop, I wouldn't make that any smaller than the size shown in the pictures for 6 chickens. You'll want about 4 sq. feet per bird for the coop...and as drumstick diva said, bigger is better to keep the chickens from getting irritable.

Thanks for joining us!

G’Day from down under Jua82
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom