FINALLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sgtmom52, Oct 30, 2007.

1. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have been patiently (yeah right) waiting for over 24 weeks for my first egg and finally got one today! I went to the coop to clean out the "poop pit" and was only greeted by 5 of my 6 girls. When I went in the coop I saw Petenshi (DD favorite) standing in one of the nest boxes. This is the first time I've found any in a nest box, but someone has been throwing the wooden eggs out for the past 2 days. I went back to the house for the camera and then went back to the coop to watch her. It only took about 5 minutes more and I actually watched her lay the egg. AMAZING! I took this picture seconds after she laid it - standing up. She is the last one that I thought would lay as she is the smallest and was the last to starting molting. I'll have to call DD at college with the good news!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She then sat on the egg quietly for about 15 minutes, tucking it under her breast and putting wood chips around it.
    [​IMG]

This is her egg in a box of store bought Large eggs. It is so cute and perfectly shaped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now hopefully the other 5 were watching and taking notes so we get more soon!

2. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Awesome picture!! Congrats!

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats!!

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Isn't it exciting? I love the first egg a hen lays; they are as proud as we are!
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful hen!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Those photos are wonderful!!! Congratulations on your clever girl!

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Thanks! It was so amazing getting to witness her actually laying the egg. I never would have guessed that it was Petenshi if I hadn't seen her laying it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah!!! The first one is always eggsciting!
    Congratulations!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Woo hoo - hope to be joining you all in the egg laying club soon myself!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by