1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ed62, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

We've had a hen sitting in the nest for about 3 months! Today I decided to get her off the nest, and clean out the eggs. When I threw some treats in the chicken yard, she came running out to get some. Aha! I closed the door so she couldn't get back in, and decided this was a good time to clean out the eggs. I took 7 eggs out of there, and when I reached for more, I saw 2 little eyes staring at me. She finally hatched an egg! I left the rest of the eggs in there, and let her back in the coop to take care of things. I can hear it now. "Do you have any idea how many months I labored with you?" [​IMG]

Here's the question: Will I need to get some chick starter today, and if not, how long can I wait before offering it? Thanks for any replies.

Ed

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    They will be fine until you can get some. Home hatched are so much hardier than anything else. Congrats!!

3. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the reply. But our little chick disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it.

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by