Finally!

The roofing panels are just the corrugated polycarbonate stuff they sell at HD, I think they're 26" x 8' and ran us about $20 each...unfortunately we couldn't find any used ones at the local re-sale shops, so even though we only needed a couple, they were one of our bigger expenses. I'm on the Hilltop now, we bought our place here about 4 years ago...it really does get a bad rap, I tell people where I'm at and they won't come over for fear of getting shot up or their cars stolen, but demographically, it's mostly young couples with children, retired folk, and halfway houses for ex-cons. The last doesn't sound so good, but honestly you wouldn't even know it except for the occasional boycott of a new one coming in because we're already saturated. Nobody wants to go back to prison, and the neighborhood has a really good watch program and a reputation for taking care of itself, so I feel perfectly safe walking to the 7-11 at 2am. At least, I've had less problems living here than I did in the year I lived in University Place :p. I think the coons must have all turned into possums, I've never seen a coon in Hilltop the whole time I've lived here, but possums are everywhere. They're pretty lazy and haven't messed with the neighbors' chickens in similarly secure set-ups, so I'm pretty confident mine will be fine.
The little drizzles we've had just beads up and runs off, but I'll know for sure how effective it is when our regular NW rain comes back...I'll let ya know when that happens :D

Yeah, Hilltop was still pretty rough when I lived there, though gentrification was already well underway. Sounds like the raccoon population may have declined for whatever reason, so that's good. And I am about to build a new coop using free pallets and scrap lumber from various sources. I have zero cash to spend so wondering what the heck to do about roofing and flooring materials as those don't seem nearly as easy to come by.

Minor update, I found some nearly-free welded wire fencing on craigslist nearby so I picked it up and added it to the coop. The price was right and I've been seeing a lot more possums than usual lately, so I jumped on it before the cold hits and they start getting desperate. Here's a new pic
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom