Finally

dewdropsinwv

Chirping
6 Years
May 1, 2013
I'm finally getting eggs from my chickens/ hens!!!! Still have a few that aren't laying yet though. One day I'll go out to te coop and find a dozen eggs :)
Post pics when I get the chance.

D.gif
Congrats! It's a good feeling when you get those first eggs, isn't it?

Thanks teach!!!! Yes it is awesome! What gets me is I was supposed to have all brown eggs..... well wouldn't you know I ended up with a leg horn. :/ oh well.

Yes I live about an hour from Pittsburgh Pa. A little town called Follansbee. If you blink, you will miss us LOL I don't mind having the one white egg layer, her name is Miss Prissy.... from the cartoon, Foghorn leg horn he he he
I have a friend who has the Easter eggers. She has to hunt down her eggs every day. I don't free range.

Opposite side of the state from where I grew up, but my town was the same way. Years after I moved away, the town ended up with ONE traffic light...my husband jokes about driving through a wormhole and traveling back in time whenever we make a trip "back home."
roll.png

My coops have runs, but I mostly free range - with the exception of my andalusian, I've never had an issue with finding eggs anywhere but in the nest boxes. Pearl (the and.) is my wild child - I've even found an egg from her up in our hay baler...lol

We are going to have to move the coop.. it gets too much sun during the day.... I have temporary shade over the run, but it's not enough. I also have a window I need to get put in for more ventilation. The heat wave we just had here was bad on them..... and with them just starting to lay, it was pretty rough.

I have two hens that just love laying their eggs in one corner of the coop.... Nutmeg my red sexlink has used the nest box once, but my amberlink goldilox wont use it, I think she is too big to fit in it. :( I'm sure they will figure it out. Miss Prissy laid her egg in a box this morning. :) She was fighting over one box with another amberlink yesterday.

The 5 hens I have that are laying on a regular basis figured out what the nest boxes are for finally. Now if the rest of the chickens would start laying I'll be in good shape!!!! Today I got 5 / 12 so far!

Just wondering, how old they will be when ALL the pullets will start laying regular. I have been getting a few new ones. Still have about half that aren't laying yet. They are about 22 weeks old.

I got 8 eggs the other day!!!! And one new one very soft. They are getting there slow but sure.

Back
Top Bottom