Finally!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeanSquak, Jul 27, 2014.

1. BeanSquak

BeanSquak In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Hello, my name is Ron and I live in San Diego, CA. I'm finally going to be the proud caretaker of 6 chicks in just a few days! I have been looking forward to raising chickens for several years, and now I'm able to pull the trigger! Super excited!

I decided the best way to get going on the project of building a coop would be to order the chicks. I did so last Sunday, and between Friday and today I made a lot of progress!

Still a lot to do before it is finished![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! That looks like the beginnings of a very nice coop! Have you checked out the Learning Center here yet? What breeds are you getting?

3. BeanSquak

BeanSquak In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you! I have been all over this site for quite some time now :)

(3) Easter Egger
    (1) Rhode Island Red
    (1) Blue Andalusian
    (1) Blue Copper Maran

I would love input on these breeds as I didn't research much deeper than basic information. I wanted a colorful basket and good temperments for the kiddos.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Looks like your coop is making good progress. Be sure and cover the run with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, as, even in cities, there are too many predators that can either tear though chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Easter Eggers and Blue Copper Marans will give you a colorful basket. EEs are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the colored eggs. And of course the Marans will give you some nice chocolate eggs. Both of these breeds hare pretty docile as well. Rhode Island Reds are good layers (the best on your list), but sometimes they can be aggressive and the Blue Andalusians are good layers, but like most Mediterranean class breeds, they are high strung and flighty, which may or may not bother you. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, you have a nice coop going up there! And you indeed picked some nice breeds. I hope they bring you great joy.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. BeanSquak

BeanSquak In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Thanks everyone!

I bought a roll of 1/2" hardware cloth to button up the coop and enclose the run, but I was planning to use regular wire for the top of the run. This stuff is awfully expensive! My local lumber yard had it much cheaper than Home Depot, but still it was $120 for a 3'x100' roll! 0_0;

Thanks for the comments about the breeds. I will have to look for tricks to teaching them good temperments where possible.

9. [​IMG]

10. BeanSquak

BeanSquak In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Got a call from MyPetChicken this morning; they had a bad hatch (not sure what that even means) of the Blue Copper Marans. Substituted with a Golden Cuckoo Maran, which is actually the one I was going to get initially, but they were sold out! Funny how that works out... =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by