Finally!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Appytaz, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I finally have one of my free range hens nesting in the garage where I can actually get to her eggs! I was soooo excited to find where she was nesting and was able to gather up her little nest and move it to an area I could easily get to daily. I left her one egg in there and marked it - and what do ya know - it worked!!! She laid another one in the new box. I was so excited! We have a large 2 car dettached garage that I use for storage and my horse "stuff" (feed room/tack room) and the hay is stored in there also - so we just leave the garage door up high enough for the cats to come and go from. Well Ethel found the hay and decided it was a perfect nest! Now if I can only keep the cats out of the chicken's nest! Both cats where piled up in it - with the egg under them! I can't wait to get home tonight to see if it worked a 2nd day :)

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Thats cute! I hope you keep finding the eggs. What would happen if the cats hatched the eggs? Oh, maybe you dont have a rooster, though? Congrats on settling her down though!
    Tina/tfpets

3. Appytaz

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Yes we have a rooster! The other hen is a better hider of her eggs. She has been MIA for about a week when I finally found out where she was staying. I have decided to just let her hatch hers this time and give the chicks away. Then hopefully we can get her nesting with Ethel. (and the cats)

4. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Would love to see a picture of the cats in the nest....sooooo cute! If you can post us a picture.[​IMG]

5. Appytaz

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I will have to get a pic of them in the nest tonight.

Day 2 with another egg - and the one cat sitting in the nest with it!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have two chickens that lay at the same time each day, and they both fight over THE nest - never mind we have five others available for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by