FINCH FOOT HELP!

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Okay, so this is my first year with finches, but I have experince with budgies. So, I noticed something brown on my zebra finches foot, pikachu. It looked brown, and it was half on the nail and half on the toe. Its in the middle. I thought it was poop, so I left it. A few days later, I see his whole middle toe is swollen, and I DONT SEE A CLAW ON IT. He seems to be okay, like hes hopping around and playing so hes fine, but its worrying me. Also, my female finch, moltres, she also has something wrong with her foot. I dont know how to explain, it looks a little bumpy, and she uses her other foot, but drags that one around, and she mostly keeps it curled up on her stomach. She can fly and she can walk, but something is definetly wrong. Please help me. Its been about a year since i have them, and I dont want anything to happen to my cuties! ~n~

How are your finches doing? Are you supplying them with a nest to sleep in and do you use any type of bedding? Sometimes tiny strings get wrapped around their toes and can cause problems.

They're good. They do have a nest to sleep in, its a canary nest. As for their bedding, I use newspaper. I never give them any sort of string because I have heard of thats problem of their feet getting caught in it. My female finch did get better, and she started laying again. But Pikachu, the males foot, is still not ok.

They are fragile and they can hurt their feet and legs at times, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to help them. It could even be a sliver in his foot, but you would have troubles seeing it. Sorry I can't be much help. Hopefully it doesn't bother him too much and resolves on it's own.

Thanks.. I hope he gets better.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom