Finding a missing chick!

cameronc65

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
My wife and I bought six week old chicks about a week and a half ago. We live in a town house that's fenced, but there are many holes and gaps. Additionally, there are feral cats who live in some of the neighbors yards.

Are chicks aren't old enough to be out in their run and coop alone yet, but we put them out there during the day so they can play. Usually we check on them every half hour or hour. Today we came out and one of them was missing! We looked all around, brought other chicks with us so they would peep and maybe attract the other chick. We searched for a little over an hour and haven't seen or heard anything. I don't see feathers in ours or the neighbors yards. Is there a way to attract chicks? What are the chances she'll come home?? My wife is very distraught :(

We have a hunter cat and I can assure you, a cat can take a bird of that size without a struggle and haul it away to eat wherever she feels safe. I'm sorry to say that it is unlikely your chick survived.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like either a cat or a hawk got her
sad.png
The same thing has happened to me, and it is very distressing. Maybe you could make them a small play yard with hawk netting over the top so the chances are reduced that it will happen again? It might save some heartache. Sorry you lost one!

so wait, they're not old enough to be in the run or coop, but you let them out where other animals can get them? I'm very sorry for your loss, but you should keep them in the run.

No, they were in the run. She must have just found a way to slip out that we weren't aware of. I spent the rest of the evening making sure the run and coop were more secure.

Sorry, should have been more clear. We have a netted run connected to the coop. That's where they were. I'm still not sure how she got out.

Hmm, could she have chewed through it? Or are they small enough that they could go through it if the netting stretches a little?

Back
Top Bottom