Finding clothes that fit...

Quote:
OK I havent been shopping in forever(like 10 years) because I leave with nothing and feel like crying. I thought about buying a pair of jeans, as I have none(never fit) but, what is a mom jean. Educate me please.

Thats sad all woman should fell great in there cloths.ok the best show to watch is (what not to wear) they have great tips on finding the best jeans to fit any body type...check out the site
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/whatnottowear/whatnottowear.html

Wikipedia
Mom jeans is a satirical term for a perceived fit of women's jeans considered very unflattering. The name of the fit has its origin with a 2000s Saturday Night Live skit which satirized the raiments.[1]

Urban Dictionary
mom jeans
Often seen on the 40+ crowd, mom jeans are too high, too tight, tapered leg jeans which manage to showcase any bodily flaw the wearer has. Possible outcomes: The butt will be compressed so it doesn't stick out, it will instead be pushed to the sides, making it look far wider than it actually is. hips will look wider because of the butt compression and the tapering of the legs.

Last edited:
I'm not wild about shopping, so I only shop about once a year. I take it seriously, and go to a place that I cannot fail, like a large shopping mall complex. I take my time, and spend the whole day finding things that fit my body properly or need minimal alterations. I usually don't find too much, just some essentials.

For jeans, I highly recommend DKNY! If you can find an outlet store you'll have tons of choices and discount prices. My brother's girlfriend and I both swear by DKNY, and our body types couldn't be more different. They have so many different cut styles that almost any woman can finally find something that fits!

Bras are hard! If you have a small band size and large cups its hard to find something that isn't overpriced and cheaply made. I use figleaves.com when they have sales. Ebay, too, has a surprisingly large selection of brand new bras in hard to find sizes.

I use to love shopping...to the point that a G/F of mine and I would go on a shopping trip to the USA every 3 months and book a hotel and shop for 3 days straight....

now I hate it...... the mfg. are taking the cheap way out in making things. The reason why a lot of sizes are different is... during the process of making the garment, they take the stack of fabric say about 3' thics and have a die that will cut all the fabric at once but what happens is that the top few get stretched to bad during the process that they are no longer true to the size.

and I really think that they are taking a true size 18 and labeling it a 16 so that you think you are the smaller size (eather that or I am getting fatter..lol)

I find that unless i spend 60$ on a "T" shirt it looks like crap and the same with the bottom. there is no style in less expensive clothing. The only thing I can get at Wal~Mart that looks half way decent on me is maybe the underwear and a few shirts. everything else is wayyyyy to reveling or my mom would wear it.

I do find a lot of good deals on E~Bay though but you need to know your measurements

Quote:
Holy Crap! I just turned 40! I'm supposed to be wearing tapered, high-waisted jeans and cat appliqued sweat shirts????
wink.png

I definitely have the problem, mainly because I'm overweight. My DH's family is having a big party next weekend which I am dreading incredibly. I'll go one day this week in search of some outfit to wear. It's so much fun being the largest person at any gathering, or almost largest person.

mom.jpg

momjeans.jpg

I'm a plus sized woman (working on not being so, but for now, it's my reality). I went shopping yesterday & the day before with 3 goals in mind. I threw out all notions of size and bought what fit. If I found something I liked but didn't like the number on the tag, so what? Do people see the tag? Nope - only me & my dry cleaner see it. If something didn't fit in 1 size, I got it in the next size up. Maddening, yes, but necessary!

Anyway, my shopping goals were to:
1. Buy my wedding dress. I found 2 I liked and my friends helped me pick the final one. I'll take the other one back. I'm proud to say that my wedding dress cost me about $45.
2. Get a swim suit. Gawd, I'm a glutton for punishment! I tried one 2 and bought 1. To heck with it - I want to swim in Hawaii and won't be the 1st overweight snorkeler there. I don't give a crap.
3. Find some items to wear in Hawaii & next week (weather is forecast in the high 80s & 90s for the next week here, and I have little that's appropriate for the office). I found 1 dress @ Ross (half price b/c it was missing the matching scarf - super mondo score: $9), 2 shorts & 2 shirts at Macy's on a clearance rack in the back of the store, and 2 bras for $88.

yuckyuck.gif
I love those pics.

Urban Dictionary
mom jeans
Often seen on the 40+ crowd, mom jeans are too high, too tight, tapered leg jeans which manage to showcase any bodily flaw the wearer has. Possible outcomes: The butt will be compressed so it doesn't stick out, it will instead be pushed to the sides, making it look far wider than it actually is. hips will look wider because of the butt compression and the tapering of the legs.

OK, so I am not getting jeans any time soon.
lau.gif

Think 2x4 straight and not even 5 foot tall. Nothing on the front or back. Nothing flatters that figure.
hide.gif

I just wanted something other than skirts I have to hem and take in, to wear to the store lol.

Back
Top Bottom