Finding 'craters' in nest boxes... Close to laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by foREVer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. foREVer

foREVer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    So, my whole flock is roughly 18.5-19 weeks old. A few of my BR and bantam girls are really red and have developed wattles and combs. I know of a d'uccle has been squatting for the roos for about a week now.

Today, I went out to check on them, and noticed craters in two nesting boxes. I know that some like to sleep in them, but this is the frist time I have seen actual craters. Usually, there is just a litttle dent there from a brid sleeping, but today there was bedding kicked up around it, and the plywood on the bottom of the box was visible. (The bedding is about 3''-4'' thick) Is this a sign that we will be getting eggs soon? Or am I just going crazy waiting?
  2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    My girls definitely started kicking around their nest box bedding before they started laying, your girls are probably pretty close! [​IMG]
  3. thecraycoop

thecraycoop New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    How exciting! My hens are getting ready to lay as well. Since Sunday, we have noticed that they are making the wells in their nexting boxes too. I can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by