Finding farmland any tips?

sunshine ducky

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Illinois
Hi all! I dont know if this is the right forum page but I was wondering if people rent an acre or more land for their livestock. Basically if you raise your chickens, not on your property but a small piece of land that you rent. If so how did you find these listings and can anyone give me any tips? We moved and chickens aren’t allowed in backyards :barnie:hit. And I’m looking for a small piece of land to rent with not that big of an expense, (an acre or less) . Thank you so much for reading! Any advice is much appreciated! :)

am not sure, my grand parents rent out there farm, (but its like 480 acres)

but the guy who rented it just asked my great grand parents (who owned the farm before them) and they set it up. and its been great for all party's involved.

I hope you find a place!

There was a person in the East Bay(San Francisco Bay area) That rented space on a farm. I do not know how she found the place but it was very nice!

A good place to start would be with your local Extension Agents. They work with the local farmers all the time and may be able to point you in the right direction. Just google for "your county" Extension office-
Thanks so much this helped me a lot! Thanks everyone for all your input! I greatly appreciate it!

keep them indoors.

might help to get a doorbell and car horn that sounds like a rooster crowing so the neighbors don't catch on too fast.

Try putting out an ad in the farm supply or livestock/poultry section of your local Craigslist in search of an area to keep chickens. If you are Facebook there are often sales groups and or farm groups in many areas where you could post in search of this as well.

Another way to go about it is to go to a restaurant or something outside town in the surrounding rural area at 5 or 6 in the morning and sit and have coffee and simply talk to all the old boys that come in for coffee early in the morning. A country cafe and an early morning coffee is a great way to meet farmers. Guaranteed there is someone that would enjoy an extra $50 a month or so in trade for you setting up a small coup and a chicken yard. This also a great way to get a garden area as well, I lived in the city the first 16 years of my adult life and I couldn't grow a garden so I went out of town and rented an acre or two close to wherever I lived to grow a garden on.

Back
Top Bottom