Finding missing chickens??

Sienatiger

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
With the girls!
Hi! A few months ago, I had 2 chickens that wandered away. I get calls from my neighbors saying that they have seen them, but when I go out to catch them, they are gone. One neighbor lives on 18 acres of wetlands and forest, and he has called me to say that he has been finding eggs near his back fence. I have lots of forest near my house and an infinite number of hiding places. I was wondering where a chicken might be during the day, where they roost at night, and what would be the best spot to look at them. It puzzles me why they haven't come back home to my house since they went missing. I always provide plenty of food and water and raise a healthy, free range flock. I wont have any trouble with catching as long as I can find them. Thanks so much for any help!

They probably don't know the way home. I think you might have a hard time finding them and than catching them. You might have better luck at night using a spotlight to check up in trees for them. I'm surprised nothing has eaten them.

Check trees at night, and don't be surprised if they are really high up. They are possibly using the same tree or area every evening so there is a good chance they will return to the same spot. If you cant reach them it might be best to go early evening "when they are heading home" and try to indices them with meal worms or treats. Once you can get close enough a blanket can be used to throw over them to catch them. But I imagine catching 2 might be difficult. Also try setting up a mini coop near where the neighbor finds the eggs. Perhaps they will find comfort there and rehome themselves, making it easier to collect them later.

Back
Top Bottom