Finding out you are actually a vet when it comes to your chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheHappyHen21, Aug 18, 2016.

1. TheHappyHen21

TheHappyHen21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    i have a 5 month old Olive Egger rooster. Im trying to find a home for him as i already have one. I noticed the other day and small bump on his head. looks like yellow underneath, i looked it up and it said an infection. Well i dont have a chicken doctor around, so i have always done my own bandaging up.

How should i go about this? Slowly cut it out, with sterile utensils. Then put triple antibiotic ointment on it?

Just because im looking for a home for him doesnt mean i dont care about him. If he has an issue im going to fix it before he leaves.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of the bump? Is it around his eye, and if so, is there any other symptoms? You will need to find out if it is a peck wound, an abscess, tumor, or maybe pox. If it is an infected wound, I like to clean it off with betadine or similar, and apply bacitracin or Neosporin ointment.

3. TheHappyHen21

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    I dont have a photo of it, no symptoms. Couldnt be a peck wound as he not housed with other chickens? He is housed with 3 goats, who leave him alone. he traces the fence line all day tho.

4. TheHappyHen21

Sep 14, 2015
    Russell, Ny
    Also, no its not on his eye, it is on the top of his head off to the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by