Finished duck coop 'Ducqarium'

It goes well now, they haven't fallen of yet. But I am a bit concerned when it will be more ducks in the spring. And mating time.
Since they like being under it when it is hot, we are thinking to make a little coop of that too, we could make that longer then the upper part with a roof, so when they fall from the top they fall on that roof.
That sounds like good plan. Or maybe make the ramp the width of the porch?
I'm Not being a party pooper I promise :p
I've just seen my ducks do some silly things. Even my call ducks that can fly are stupid about jumping off of things and not using their wings and hurting themselves :rolleyes:

It is cute , but so high up .
I’d not let my ducks climb up that high , their ramp is one foot off the ground at the top and they tumble off it all the time , slippery conditions add to the problem .

I’d add a platform so the ramp doesn’t have to be so narrow and steep ,

This is my opinion , I choose to plan for safety but be prepared for accidents,because animals and people don’t always think for themselves:)

Last edited:
It goes well now, they haven't fallen of yet. But I am a bit concerned when it will be more ducks in the spring. And mating time.
Since they like being under it when it is hot, we are thinking to make a little coop of that too, we could make that longer then the upper part with a roof, so when they fall from the top they fall on that roof.
I wonder if you could make it a living roof so if they fell, it would be onto plants and dirt. They might have a softer landing that way.

No matter what, it is an amazing structure!

I don't know if you (you guys) have Indian runner ducks or other ducks?
Our Indian runner ducks are climb-crazy. With the renovations right now there are a lot of high heaps of sand and sorts and their #1 hobby is to climb them and quack really loudly on top of it so everyone in the whole neighbourhood knows that this is their fricking neighbourhood! Or something.
I am not so worried about the hight or the climbing because they themselves keep wanting to climb 5 meter hills for some reason.
The pond we are rebuilding for them (deeper and bigger) is empty now, and as steep as it gets. We were worried that they would fall in and couldn't come out. Nope. Allthough there is a bridge over it they prefer to throw themselves in it and climb that steep 3 meter wall. And succeed easily.
I'm wondering if that is because of the difference between ducks that are more land-bound (Indian runners) or more water-air-bound like ther ducks?

Anyway. It still works really well. The red heating lamp arrived. And since it is red light that is on at night. An they are girls. And they are behind a window. And this is the Netherlands. We can't help to make red-light district jokes :p
But they like it. They don't sleep in it when we are not home. When we are home they sleep in it. Gardening season is over so we aren't much in the yard. In this fashion we still see each other during the cold months. Otherwise it would only be once a day to feed them and get eggs during the winter months.

We have planned a housewarming for them and invited our friends and family. We are making a ribbon laced with dried mealworms, so they themselves can 'cut' the ribbon ;') (and we can use it as an excuse to have a party :p)

Yeah maybe :p
But I can imagine that
I've never been around runner ducks. That's so funny they like to climb things like that :gig
We definitely need to see video footage of their dare devil stunts :pop

So other ducks are not like that?
I have only had rats and cats. And they are a bit the same. Cheeky and adventurous. They need to try eveything new out, climb it, offcourse fall, but then act like 'No, the falling was part of it! totally planned! How DARE you assume I am so stupid to do stupid thing and fall! tsss!". (and then never do it again because they actually did a stupid thing and learned from it)

I don't think there will be video's since I am terrible at new smart-phone technology. Or phones. I just forget the exictense of the device and it is laying somehwere in the house when I am in the yard.
We dug deep holes for the foundation of the shed. (the shed that is going to look like this). One of them fell in. Couldn't get out. But even when this situation happened their new day-time hobby is sleeping litterally on the edge of this hole? I trust them to know what their duckabillties are, and apprently they just like living on the edge. :')

I am bit confused by the 'aren't you worried by this? or that?' while I am thinking 'no?'. There might be some difference with Indian runner ducks and other ducks. Indian runner ducks are island ducks. Due to evolution on islands with long periods of draught they had to learn to eat from the land. Due to lack of predators they lost the abillity to fly. They depend less on water and more on land. They even eat mice =/
Sometimes I wonder if their eating habbits are more like a chicken then other ducks.
I would love to hear an opinion from someone that has/had indian runners, other ducks, chicken or geese/swans.

My ducks are curious yes. . they have to noodle and investigate everything new once they get over their initial fear of the new scary thing and decide it won't eat them :lol:
But I don't see them climbing up on stuff too often. But maybe just because I don't have a lot of things around they could climb :confused:
I do have one duck that likes to jump up on the roof of their little barn house now and then. But it's only about 2 foot from the ground.
When I tried using a bigger pool and made steps to get up into it they rarely used it and a lot of times instead of taking the steps down they would just flop out *thud*
Then walk away limping :rolleyes:
My Call ducks are almost as bad about falling off of things. . and they can fly! :barniewhat the what.
When the water level gets a little low I will see them flopping around like they can't get out when all they have to do is use their wings and fly right out.
I do have one call drake that has started flying around the run and landing square in the middle of the rest while they are trying to take a nice nap :p
He is quite the trouble maker:lau

Back
Top Bottom