Finished the duck house! (pic)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Dec 11, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    But now I need advice on getting them to go in it at night! Any tips? The ramp isn't terribly steep so I don't think that's the problem...

[​IMG]
    Duck House by Just In Luv, on Flickr

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Wow very nice [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Beautiful job! [​IMG] My ducks only go in the coop to lay and always sleep outside. The muscovies on the other hand always sleep inside.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Am I the only one who has ducks that go in before the chickens? [​IMG]

You could herd them in.

I only commented here without advice because I needed to say you did an amazing job on that duck house!!! I would live in it! [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Beautiful [​IMG]

6. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Is that a duck hi-rise?

whats the rent? [​IMG]

That looks nicer than MY house....I'd live there. All thats missing is a satellite dish on top. Let visitors wonder....
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that spoils their birds !

Looks great ! Congrats on a nice job !

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Wow those are some lucky ducks there [​IMG]

I've never had problems getting mine to go in either except when it's been really cold (like now) and we have a decent day so they want to stay out and enjoy it as only as possible just to make me have to make more trips out to shut them all up I'm sure [​IMG] But I've never had them use a ramp either so not sure on that one.

But yes you can come build our house as soon as you get your ducks in a row (or in their new digs) [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  8. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Quote:x2
    I would sooooo live in that coop and the wreath is awesome and festive. Your ducks must be really well behaved because my chickens would have attacked or eaten it (natural or not!!)

9. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. D'awh. [​IMG] Hubby built it, so he deserves the credit; all I did was stain it and hang the wreath. LOL

We might've made a booboo in raising the ducks because we constructed a very secure 48' x 24' x 10' covered pen with a pond and once my three birthday ducklings grew up into birthday ducks, we let them run wild as the Lost Boys out there. They have sightboards so they were protected when they'd sleep outside in a corner at night. And they loved it. The weather all summer and fall never seemed to bother them one bit, though for our own peace of mind we brought them inside during a few hurricanes.

So now I think they have grown too used to sleeping outside and now, several months later, I don't know if I will be able to use this house for anything but keeping their food dish out of the rain. LOL I do plan to get a few more ducklings this spring so maybe if I can "train" the newbies, my older duckies will follow suit.

Yes, they are spoiled rotten. The $5 ducklings cost us many, many times that. LOL But so worth it, aren't they? They sure brighten a bad day. I wuv them!

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The duck house is beautiful.

You'll have to herd the ducks in until they form the habit of going inside at night. It is often easier if you use some sort of low fencing to funnel them into the doorway.

Somehow, my ducks formed the habit of my putting them to bed at night. So they stand around outside their run until I walk out there and announce it is bed time. Then they go in.

On the nights when I am really late, they will finally put themselves inside, but I really hear about it when I go out to close the door. Nobody can scold like a duck and ducks don't like to have their routine changed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by