Finishing my coop- and I have some questions

yakmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
The South
So we live in a subdivision within a rural area. It's kind of weird. You have to drive way out and there are farms all around us. Then our subdivision is in the middle of it all with several homes fairly close together.

Anyways, we have neighbors with dogs, chickens, pigs, etc. I haven't seen any raccoons around, but I have seen skunks, stray cats, and the occasional stray dog. We are finishing up our chicken ark style coop kind of like this one: http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/ControlFiles/Graphics/Products/Boughton/904/B904.jpg . I'm feeling pretty good about how secure the top part is, and I think I won't be worried at all while they're cooped up at night.

What I'm really worried about is the day time. I will be working 3 days a week, so the chickens will be unsupervised for about 8 hours at a time. I do not have an apron on the run part of the ark, and am concerned about day time predators. We are using hardware cloth, but is that enough? Is this something I should be worried about? Will a raccoon or skunk come out during the day? Will a dog or cat try to dig under?

Will they be ok unsupervised during the day?

Back
Top Bottom