fire ant problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TreyClark281, Jul 9, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i have a fire ant problem!!! they are eveywhere!!! they arent getting into the feeders they are eating everything off the floor.

any sugestions??
  2. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Maybe your local exterminator can handle them?
    Thats all I can think of.
  3. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    my wife was reading about our ducks and said that they eat ants so you might try getting a few ducks and see if it helps we will see what happends in the weeks to come. I just built one of those tractors and plan on putting them in it. with all the rain we had I need to trim the door so it will close but all in all it looks pretty good and I put 10" wheels on it to help move it coved the fence with chicken wire to keep the racoons skunks out from climing on top and coved half with a tarp to help with the heat and rain.
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need food grade DE and a bag of grits. Put it out around the nest and the feeders and storage bins. Give it a little time and all your problems will begin to disappear as fast as they appeared.
  5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:yup, took care of a hill that I've been fighting for 3years in less than a week
  6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I use an orange oil based fire ant killer in the backyard. It seems to work very well and doesn't hurt the chickens. I buy a commercial product, but there are recipes out there for the killer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by