Fire ants invaded my coop!

Oct 26, 2020
Hi, BYCers!

I have a tractor style chicken coop. On the edge fire ants built a foot by foot nest. I didn´t think much of it until it rained last night. And the fire ants thought my coop would be a delightful place to be dry and warm and move their very, VERY large family. I opened the coop and fire ants spill out all over. I lift the poop board and underneath is so many ants I can´t see the wood. So far I poured 3 gallons hot soapy water on them but that didn´t do anything. This has never happened. They need to not be deterred but killed.
How can I do this BYCers without going to TSC? I have shut all the coop doors and entrances because an EE hen went in and was pecking her feet because the ants were all over them. I have many bantams and the fire ants can kill them.

:he:barnie:rant:hit:confused:

Get the birds out of there.
Boiling water might help.
DE probably not.
Fire ants are a special problem...I don't know the answer but @Kiki might.
[/QUOTE

They have been out :). They have a very, very large run and I will do boiling water. The birds are sleeping on perches in the run tonight. Tomorrow is Rid Of Ants day. I was thinking DE won´t help a lot.

They have been out :). They have a very, very large run and I will do boiling water. The birds are sleeping on perches in the run tonight. Tomorrow is Rid Of Ants day. I was thinking DE won´t help a lot.
Hope someone comes along to tell you what to use.
Can you see their mound or hole in the ground where they live?

Back
Top Bottom