Fire Ants!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tothemoon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    We had a big storm here a couple weeks ago and every since then we have had fire ants like crazy. They are everywhere!! You cant take a step in the yard without seeing a trail of them. They are in the chicken pens, under the waterers and feeders. I get scared thinking about the chickens laying outside to beat the heat, will the fire ants kill them? I am certain they are fire ants, they sting me everyday! I have never seen fire ants make trails before, only mounds, but these make trails too! Is there anything that I can get rid of them with that isnt toxic to my chickens and dogs? Ive tried dusting the whole yard with DE, did it 3 days in a row.......they keep coming back! The other day they had found a batch of earthworms and were all over them eating them while the worms were trying to wriggle away! I found a pullet dead today, with no marks on her but i did find a few fire ants on her. We had a fox last night tear a deep gash into another pullet but the one that died was unmarked, not sure what killed her. It makes me think that the fire ants got her! Please help if you can! Thanks so much!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    We have fire ants everywhere it seems. I just use Amdro on the mounds and DE in the coop. Seems to work and haven't had any problem with the chickens.

3. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Someone commented earlier in another similar post about using a borax/sugar mix and put it "traps" to attract the ants. They love the sugar but the borax gets them. I don't remember the mixing they suggested maybe just check the Predators and Pests section, I know it was posted in that section today.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    If the ground is soaked, the ants will come out. If its real dry, the ants go down deeper into the earth. Amdro works great.

5. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    We have been using amdro on select mounds, but our dogs go outside and will sniff and lick at it. I was hoping to find something I could use that isnt poisenous. Ill keep trying DE. Ive heard that plain baby powder can keeps pests away, not kill them but at least make them not want to be around......haas anyone else heard of that?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Ive tried dusting the whole yard with DE

DE doesn't work if it's wet.
    Get some real chemicals if you want to get rid of them.
    Use them as directed and your pets won't be harmed

I have good results with Spectracide Fire Ant killer​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by