Fireworks?

OlyAnnie

Hatching
6 Years
May 11, 2013
Hi, I live in a rural area, and while I don't own chickens or peacocks a close by neighbor does.
So here is my concern - every year around February or so I will begin hearing their peacock. Who is always yelling in response at the slightest sounds.

This doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that after every 4th of July I no longer hear it. This area has a lot of fireworks going off in the week leading up to the 4th and then on the 4th itself there are lots of bangs for several hours. I always hear the bird up to that point and then after the 4th nothing.

Which makes me worried that the stress from all the noise has killed it and it's a different bird I hear each year. Or?? I don't really know these neighbors so don't really know how to ask them if they are getting a new bird every year knowing its going to die on the 4th....hoping there probably is a different reason (can they lose their voice for months at a time?). Also have no idea what to do about it if it's true loud noises will kill them. :(

welcome-byc.gif

I have no clue. Someone else should be able to help you!

Mine basically only scream leading up to and during breeding season, once they lose the tail feathers or train as it is called breeding season is over and mine no longer care to scream LOL The southern states see their breeding season come early but up north it is during the months of May, June, July and early August for me.

Last edited:
I fire off fireworks all the time here to keep unwanted preditors in the air away and my peas are not afraid of them one bit, never have been even the first time they heard them, now if they see me grab fireworks they start looking up at the sky to see what i am seeing
big_smile.png

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess what is throwing me is that it screams every time a fireworks goes off, and that gets more and more intense, and then I don't hear it anymore after the 4th. Seems like a weird coincidence.

These peacocks are very sensitive to house and always yell when it hears anything loud - even when I close my back door! Is that normal?

Perfectly normal.. mine holler everytime i crank up the dump truck, shut the door to the truck, start the 4-wheeler,open or close the conex boxes, but they never holler when i fire off the wor\ks unless they see something i don't.

Back
Top Bottom