First aid for rooster caused wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmlew99, Mar 29, 2015.

1. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'm such a wreck right now! I went outside today and was sitting with my three hens and rooster when I noticed one of my little Easter Eggers had a gash under her wing. She is extremely skittish, and I've only held her once, very much against her will. The gash is dark colored, I can't tell if its dark black or blue or purple. I just noticed it because she shifted her wing forward slightly. Otherwise it is completely hidden, and since I can't catch her I didn't see it.

What should I do? I have Neosporin and Blu-Kote but that's just about it. I have no idea what to do. Please please please help me!

2. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    anyone? I'm not sure how to deal with first aid wounds. How do I tell if its infected?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Flush the wound with betadine then apply neosporin. If there's a puncture, pack it with neosporin until healed. There will be a foul odor if it's infected/necrotic.

4. cmlew99

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I don't have betadine, would it be satisfactory just to use neosporin for now? Should I take her inside for the night and try to wash it with warm water? I just don't want to stress her out any more than I have to

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, clean it as best as you can removing dirt and debris and then apply the neosporin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by