First aid kit

fiberart57

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Colorado
Hello all,
I continue to be amazed and in awe of the wealth of knowledge on this forum, thank you for all your help.

As a new chicken owner, is there a list of first aid supplies that I should have around the house just in case one gets sick? While I hope and pray I'll never have to use it, I do live in a smallish community and things close up early so I like to be prepared.

I looked at the FAQ page and didn't see one ther but if it's posted elsewhere and I've missed it, I apologize for a repeat question.

Thanks,
Mary

I bought an empty tool box from OSH and filled it with first aid supplies and some other goodies. Here are my recommendations:

First Aid: Betadine, gauze bandages, waterproof first aid tape, triple antibiotic ointment, Catron IV spray (indispensible - prevents infestation of wounds by flies, etc.), mineral oil, disposable gloves, surgical scissors, tweezers, blood-stop powder,
Other Stuff: 1cc syringes & needles (also called insulin syringes, for injectables), 3cc syringes (for oral medication/fluids), 10cc syringes (for flushing wounds), toothbrush (for cleaning feet/bumblefoot), Nolvasan and Oxine (disinfectant/antivirals/antifungals for coop)
Medications/Vitamins: Baytril (antibiotic that can't be used on animals for slaughter), Naxcel (antibiotic), Ivermectin and Fenbendazole (wormers), VitaFlight (powdered vitamins for birds), VetRX (herbal oil), Terramycin ointment (for eye infections/wounds - must be refrigerated)

Good luck with your kit! Lynn

Last edited:
Here's two good links I found:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=342638 and http://www.broodyhen.co.uk/ket/fowlnotfoul/1staid.htm

I
have many of the same things as chickletranch. I also have Prep H, bag balm, handfeeding formula for parrots, and I'm going to pick up some acidophilus tablets/capsules.

Hopefully I will never really have to use it.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom