First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

I have not experience this personally. I have read to keep it separate dso no one pecks at it and colver area with neosproin. I think the petroweum jelly keekps the area wet in a way that promotes skin growth to cover over the remaining area.

Great job on hatching these survivors.

I have not experience this personally. I have read to keep it separate dso no one pecks at it and colver area with neosproin. I think the petroweum jelly keekps the area wet in a way that promotes skin growth to cover over the remaining area.

x2, separate it if possible and smear affected area at least twice daily with triple antibiotic ointment. Lots of calories - 1 tbsp sugar per quart of water and up the protein in the feed to at least 20%. Good luck.

x2, separate it if possible and smear affected area at least twice daily with triple antibiotic ointment. Lots of calories - 1 tbsp sugar per quart of water and up the protein in the feed to at least 20%. Good luck.
Thank you!!! I applied the antibiotic ointment last night and it's already starting to look better, we ended up having to tape it's feet too, the toes were squished together, like the feet were folded in half too long in the egg or something, it looked pretty squished in there. It couldn't really walk, I watched it all day hoping they would straighten out but no luck so I looked up what my options were and read something about taping the feet, which seemed easy enough, so we did and it's actually walking now, I just worry about when it's time to take the tape off, don't want to hurt the poor thing. I really hope this last one makes it, these 'survivors' have stolen my heart more then the rest, plus they are so stinkin cute each one is a different color.

Quote: I know there is a way to release the adhesive on the tape. I think it's using an oil, like a mineral oil, or other oil commonly found around our homes. Rub it in so it gets under the tape. It releases the adhesive so the tape pulls off very easily like it's not taped on at all. You might google looking for this under children as this is where this idea originated to save kids from the ripping off of bandaids. Here, I found one. I would use oo as it would be ok if a chick ate some.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/toddlers/qt/bandaids.htm

I know there is a way to release the adhesive on the tape. I think it's using an oil, like a mineral oil, or other oil commonly found around our homes. Rub it in so it gets under the tape. It releases the adhesive so the tape pulls off very easily like it's not taped on at all. You might google looking for this under children as this is where this idea originated to save kids from the ripping off of bandaids. Here, I found one. I would use oo as it would be ok if a chick ate some.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/toddlers/qt/bandaids.htm
Wonderful!! Of course, that completely makes sense and I'm sure will come in handy when my 2 yr old needs his first bandaid, I am shocked it hasn't happened yet (knock on wood). I really don't know what I would have done had I not stumbled across this hatchalong, this was my first season incubating and I have learned an incredible amount I will definitely be applying to my future hatches, I would have been lost without you all!

You can also buy tape that sticks to itself only (found in both human and pet stores) - coban or vetwrap. It is perfect for most chicken uses, and indispensable for something like bumblefoot. I'd recommend everyone have some in their first aid kit.

goodpost.gif

Price the "human" kind first. It may be less expensive than "vet wrap". Anything "specialty" is usually expensive (especially if it is for "horses"
wink.png
) even if it is the same thing with a different name.

You can also buy tape that sticks to itself only (found in both human and pet stores) - coban or vetwrap. It is perfect for most chicken uses, and indispensable for something like bumblefoot. I'd recommend everyone have some in their first aid kit.

We actually have some
smile.png
picked it up to keep the wound covered on the injured hen... do you think it could work for this little poult (36 hours old now)? how long until I remove the first round of tape? we put it on around 8 last night... I figured I would keep re-taping or wrapping until it seemed normal... I have sugar and vitamins in the water and fish meal and probiotics in its feed, with marbles in both... Plus i am applying the antibiotic ointment to the belly/yolk area... Is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks again everyone, I can't say it enough
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom