First attempt at incubating

Sorry, no Royal Purples in that batch. This one is a very Pied Pearl Gray.
pxl_20210921_003215443-jpg.2840779

Man! I've got the right combo, just aren't getting those eggs I guess. My other, half went to a cousin and half went to my dad. All doing well. My dad's think they are chickens. One of his hens took to them when he integrated them, and they follow her around. It's adorable!!!

Man! I've got the right combo, just aren't getting those eggs I guess. My other, half went to a cousin and half went to my dad. All doing well. My dad's think they are chickens. One of his hens took to them when he integrated them, and they follow her around. It's adorable!!!
Cute. What’s your combo that you expect to give you royal purples?

I read it took a gray pearl and slate, I think, (gray)? R2elk would probably know if that's correct. I love waiting and watching all the wonderful colors that come out of the eggs. It's so fun!

I read it took a gray pearl and slate, I think, (gray)? R2elk would probably know if that's correct. I love waiting and watching all the wonderful colors that come out of the eggs. It's so fun!
It does not require a Pearl Gray to make a Royal Purple. It might be a possibility. There is too little real information about what causes Royal Purple.

I create Royal Purples every year by breeding a Chocolate male to a Coral Blue hen. It may work the other way too. It happens too often for it to be caused by a mutation. I am sure there are other ways to make Royal Purples.

I’m on some Facebook groups that talk a lot about the genetics of guinea fowl. I’m including a chart made by Dana Manchester (which he says is out of date and needs to be revised), plus a screenshot of Jessica Farmer’s pictorial, which I’m finding most helpful. These sources state the royal purple occurs when a bird has two semi-pearling genes. So, as I understand it, your Pearl Gray could have one or none of the Semi-pearling genes. Using this same system, your Slate is fully pearled but has two attenuate genes. The Slate could have two fully pearled genes or one semi-pearled gene. So, since both PG and Slate are fully pearled, you would only get 25% Royal Purple from them if each had one hidden semi-pearled gene. If either parent is homozygous for fully pearled, then you would get PG keets. If your PG has a hidden attenuate gene, then you would get 1/2 PG and 1/2 Slates.

Attachments

• B4BFD81A-DF6D-4DE3-AA0E-1A6DF892824A.jpeg
    B4BFD81A-DF6D-4DE3-AA0E-1A6DF892824A.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 79CE028F-98D4-4F6D-ACE1-FA828155073C.png
    79CE028F-98D4-4F6D-ACE1-FA828155073C.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 417CB776-A833-4600-AF0C-A6D510220C1E.png
    417CB776-A833-4600-AF0C-A6D510220C1E.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
I’m on some Facebook groups that talk a lot about the genetics of guinea fowl. I’m including a chart made by Dana Manchester (which he says is out of date and needs to be revised), plus a screenshot of Jessica Farmer’s pictorial, which I’m finding most helpful. These sources state the royal purple occurs when a bird has two semi-pearling genes. So, as I understand it, your Pearl Gray could have one or none of the Semi-pearling genes. Using this same system, your Slate is fully pearled but has two attenuate genes. The Slate could have two fully pearled genes or one semi-pearled gene. So, since both PG and Slate are fully pearled, you would only get 25% Royal Purple from them if each had one hidden semi-pearled gene. If either parent is homozygous for fully pearled, then you would get PG keets. If your PG has a hidden attenuate gene, then you would get 1/2 PG and 1/2 Slates.
It isn't that simple. A Royal Purple can have two semi-dotted genes or one semi-dotted gene and a no dotting gene.

I have not seen any proof that a Royal Purple is the gray gene. I do not have the gray gene (dominant) in my flock. I create Royal Purples by breeding a Chocolate male (supposedly 2 recessive buff genes and at least one semi-dotting gene) with a Coral Blue hen (2 recessive blue genes and one semi dotting gene).

My Royal Purple is not the only Royal Purple that I have read about that has been proven to be carrying a recessive blue gene.

It isn't that simple. A Royal Purple can have two semi-dotted genes or one semi-dotted gene and a no dotting gene.

I have not seen any proof that a Royal Purple is the gray gene. I do not have the gray gene (dominant) in my flock. I create Royal Purples by breeding a Chocolate male (supposedly 2 recessive buff genes and at least one semi-dotting gene) with a Coral Blue hen (2 recessive blue genes and one semi dotting gene).

My Royal Purple is not the only Royal Purple that I have read about that has been proven to be carrying a recessive blue gene.
Using this genetic system, chocolate would be two semipearled genes and two dark dun genes. Also, it sounds like you are talking about codominance at the semi-pearling allele, but this would be following simple Mendelian genetics, so they would need to be homozygous for semi-Pearling to appear semi-pearled. So, Chocolate would have two dark dun genes and two semipearl genes. Coral blue would have two lavender genes and two semipearl genes. If all other genes were wild type, resulting progeny would be homozygous for semi-pearl, heterozygous for dark dun, and heterozygous for lavender. Because dun and lavender are recessive to wild type (Pearl Gray), phenotypically, they would have the Pearl Gray base color and be semipearled, which would show as Royal Purple. I did find one paper that reports on test breeding for some of this, but it’s older and lacking light dun, attenuate, bronze, pinto, etc. I’ve tried to attach the paper, but am also including a link:

https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article-pdf/87/2/138/6452301/87-2-138.pdf

Attachments

• 9DE78564-5D9F-4F5B-9BBE-C21A5BD96509.png
    9DE78564-5D9F-4F5B-9BBE-C21A5BD96509.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 87-2-138.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom