First attempt at incubating

GuineaCrazy

Songster
Jul 9, 2019
This is my third summer with my guineas. The first summer they were too young to lay. Last year we were down to only 3 and our hen hatched a nest of 10 on her own. We increased our flock in hopes of hatching and selling to help pay our girls tuition for school. When the hay was cut down, we found one nest that had been ran over and one that was ok. I collected those and am incubating them now. I know there are several other nests but can't find them. I'm hoping some hens hatch eggs on their own. We shall see, the incubation of these little eggs is making me nervous! I'm reading a lot of you are having to assist with the hatches. Is this common?

This is my third summer with my guineas. The first summer they were too young to lay. Last year we were down to only 3 and our hen hatched a nest of 10 on her own. We increased our flock in hopes of hatching and selling to help pay our girls tuition for school. When the hay was cut down, we found one nest that had been ran over and one that was ok. I collected those and am incubating them now. I know there are several other nests but can't find them. I'm hoping some hens hatch eggs on their own. We shall see, the incubation of these little eggs is making me nervous! I'm reading a lot of you are having to assist with the hatches. Is this common?
The only time it wld be done is if the keet is in the wrong position or overdue. It seems like most of the stories I read end w/finding a dead keet inside. I doubt it's that common so much as it is that when it happens, one wants to talk abt it but it's not always a great conversation starter in the general public.😉 I think it's more common for those of us still learning - we don't yet know what we don't know, forget something, don't check the equipment for accuracy, get too rambunctious,etc.

Last edited:
Consider talking to them. Sounds silly but I start peeping and saying good morning before they hatch and they seem to recognize my voice when they hatch. Some advise against d/t imprinting but if I'm the one providing care the sooner they know my voice the better, imo. So far everyone has recognized that I neither roost nor fly,
This is amazing! We make the female call and it encouraged the first two to hatch!! I was very apprehensive at the start but it's so amazing to watch!!

So these little guys are 2 weeks old. I have them in a brooder in our attached garage. This is the 4th batch I've started this way. Typically the keets are LOUD. Like we can hear them in the house, all hours of the day loud. This group is very quiet. Rarely make the loud cheeping sound the other groups have made. Is this common with incubated keets? Although I assume the ones we bought from hatcheries were incubated.
My keets are always relatively quiet in the brooder.

I have not had to assist much on previous years, but my hatch rate has been terrible this year, so maybe I should be assisting more?:confused:

Lockdown day! I can hear a few cheeping in the egg! So excited! I have 17 that are ready. Hoping for a good hatch rate!
Consider talking to them. Sounds silly but I start peeping and saying good morning before they hatch and they seem to recognize my voice when they hatch. Some advise against d/t imprinting but if I'm the one providing care the sooner they know my voice the better, imo. So far everyone has recognized that I neither roost nor fly,

It's amazing hearing them peeping in there. So, I have 4 that have hatched, and 10 more that have pips or started to zip. I will be at the 24 hour mark this pm for the first two. Can I leave them in there, can I open the incubator if there are still some zipping? I don't want to risk shrink wrapping them. Any guidance is appreciated!!

And congrats on the early hatchers!

Back
Top Bottom