First Bird Died (Marek's) - Second Doing Great After St. John's Wort Treatment

I posted a month ago about one of our seemingly strong, healthy chickens that we found shaking and who died a few hours later. (See here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/healthy-chicken-dead-24-hours-later.1217158/). The members on this forum were incredibly kind and helpful--and I wanted to post some follow-up on the off-chance it helps others down the road.

Two days after losing the aforementioned chicken we found another one of our chickens in the same predicament: shaking, paralyzed, rapidly changing pupils, etc. All indications pointed to Marek's Disease (even though both chickens were purchased from a reputable store and were supposed to be vaccinated). We contacted one of our local chicken experts who owns a chicken-raising/chicken-supply business who confirmed our suspicions of Marek's.

We immediately began treatment with St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) (30 mg tablets -- NOT capsules) following strict instructions.

Use only Distilled Water (~1 tablespoon). Completely dissolve pill in bottle (we chose glass bottle with a dropper). DO NOT let the solution touch metal. Give~15-20 drops of the solution to the infected bird. Make sure bird closes mouth (solution should hit top of mouth). Repeat every 12 hours with a freshly made solution.

We kept her in our garage and provided a heat lamp. We continued to follow the St. John's Wort treatment. Not sure how important the no metal/distilled water only/tablets not capsules/etc. specifics are but we follow just in case. We've read of the importance of these specific instructions elsewhere.

Our second bird began an almost immediate recovery. A bird that one month ago could not even move it's legs today is walking around. I am slowly re-introducing her to the flock (she was bottom of the chain to begin with and now is the recipient of constant pecking).

I know the above story is anecdotal but given other's success with St. John's Wort I will certainly take this approach next time I see Marek Disease-like symptoms in other birds.
Where did you find 30mg? All I can find is 200mg and above.

I am so desperate to try the St John's wort method on one of my bantams that is showing symtums of Mareks. She was fine when she went to bed but in the morning she couldn't stand up, kept falling using wings to attempt to hold herself up one leg out infront of her and no movement in the other leg, quick changes in her pupils. I have her in a sling in the house so i can keep an eye on her, she is eating and drinking. I am devastated. I don't know how long to try her for on the St John's wort?

I posted a month ago about one of our seemingly strong, healthy chickens that we found shaking and who died a few hours later. (See here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/healthy-chicken-dead-24-hours-later.1217158/). The members on this forum were incredibly kind and helpful--and I wanted to post some follow-up on the off-chance it helps others down the road.

Two days after losing the aforementioned chicken we found another one of our chickens in the same predicament: shaking, paralyzed, rapidly changing pupils, etc. All indications pointed to Marek's Disease (even though both chickens were purchased from a reputable store and were supposed to be vaccinated). We contacted one of our local chicken experts who owns a chicken-raising/chicken-supply business who confirmed our suspicions of Marek's.

We immediately began treatment with St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum) (30 mg tablets -- NOT capsules) following strict instructions.

Use only Distilled Water (~1 tablespoon). Completely dissolve pill in bottle (we chose glass bottle with a dropper). DO NOT let the solution touch metal. Give~15-20 drops of the solution to the infected bird. Make sure bird closes mouth (solution should hit top of mouth). Repeat every 12 hours with a freshly made solution.

We kept her in our garage and provided a heat lamp. We continued to follow the St. John's Wort treatment. Not sure how important the no metal/distilled water only/tablets not capsules/etc. specifics are but we follow just in case. We've read of the importance of these specific instructions elsewhere.

Our second bird began an almost immediate recovery. A bird that one month ago could not even move it's legs today is walking around. I am slowly re-introducing her to the flock (she was bottom of the chain to begin with and now is the recipient of constant pecking).

I know the above story is anecdotal but given other's success with St. John's Wort I will certainly take this approach next time I see Marek Disease-like symptoms in other birds.

where did you get the 30 mg tablets? thansk teresa

Back
Top Bottom