First Broody hatch questions

Lochloosachicks

Songster
Jul 2, 2017
My hen(thay was my first incubator hatch!) has eggs hatching now, she has hatched 2, 3rd in progress. I moved her and clutch to our "baby coop" yesterday because I came home and 1 chick was missing completely. Although she was at ground level of the main coop with everything she needed, that were apparently to exposed to something.
Anyway, the baby coop I put them in is not nearly as insulated. It is one of those cheap ones from TS, we usually use it as a brooder with a heat lamp until they are ready for the big coop. Her hatches are staggered because I gave her 3 eggs from another broody that gave up. One of those pipped last night.

My questions...
1. Do they need a heat lamp, she still has 2 eggs to hatch? I candles them they are good, but may be a couple of days.
2. Is it too dark, there is only a small hatch opening to allow light in? If I open the other they could fall below and the weather os terrible.
3. How long will she stay worth them in there? I didn't expect to have to isolate them from the others.
4. How do they eat? I have food and water in there is that enough?

FYI, it's crazy rain here in Texas for the foreseeable future. Temps are around 40-50.

First can we see this coop? Even a stock photo of the model online would do so we can suggest insulation. I think 40 to 50 she can keep them warm they shouldn't be very mobile yet. As long as she is with them she should be able to keep them warm enough if you pack her nest good with hay. I wouldn't worry about lighting yet she ismt going to take them far for a few days at least. You might put a small battery powered lamp in there so she can see to show them the food and water. But in my experience they don't do much of anything for the first few days. They just sit and keep the babies warm. Mine hatched early spring and I just stuffed hay around them and threw a blanket over the outside of my hatching/broody hen box in the evening and overnight and every one did fine.

First can we see this coop? Even a stock photo of the model online would do so we can suggest insulation. I think 40 to 50 she can keep them warm they shouldn't be very mobile yet. As long as she is with them she should be able to keep them warm enough if you pack her nest good with hay. I wouldn't worry about lighting yet she ismt going to take them far for a few days at least. You might put a small battery powered lamp in there so she can see to show them the food and water. But in my experience they don't do much of anything for the first few days. They just sit and keep the babies warm. Mine hatched early spring and I just stuffed hay around them and threw a blanket over the outside of my hatching/broody hen box in the evening and overnight and every one did fine.
I have shavings in the top of the coop and I also put a the single nesting box with shavings that she had been sitting in there. I just picked the entire thing up and moved it in there. There are shavings under the box and in it. I could get a small lantern to put in there. I'm a little worried about the other eggs not hatching for a few more days. Will she stay on them even if the format chick is almost 5 days older?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181017-092655_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181017-092655_Samsung Internet.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20181017-092908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181017-092908_Samsung Internet.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 1
Those little pre-fab houses work great for broodies and babies. She will not need additional heat or light (unless you just feel better to add a little Christmas tree string of lights outside the existing window would work just fine)
Keep the upper door closed, but add food and water. Some shavings or bedding, and they will be good to go!

Once they are all up and running around well, I'd move them back in with the rest of the flock. Personally, I like to do it as soon as possible. That way, they chicks stick closer to momma, and she teaches the rest of the flock to leave them alone. If you wait a few weeks, its still possible, but the older chicks tend to drift away from mom a little further and might get intimidated by the others. Depends a lot on your own flock dynamics, but this is what has worked well for me.

I mainly want to keep them I there longer because my cats and dogs go after the really tiny chicks, but if they are a few weeks they will leave them alone. Also, the rain is so heavy that water is a couple of inches I. Some areas outside if the coop.
Those little pre-fab houses work great for broodies and babies. She will not need additional heat or light (unless you just feel better to add a little Christmas tree string of lights outside the existing window would work just fine)
Keep the upper door closed, but add food and water. Some shavings or bedding, and they will be good to go!

Once they are all up and running around well, I'd move them back in with the rest of the flock. Personally, I like to do it as soon as possible. That way, they chicks stick closer to momma, and she teaches the rest of the flock to leave them alone. If you wait a few weeks, its still possible, but the older chicks tend to drift away from mom a little further and might get intimidated by the others. Depends a lot on your own flock dynamics, but this is what has worked well for me.

Back
Top Bottom