First butchering day; Actually quick and easy!

I would definitely be interested to see a video. I used the axe on my meat birds and it was a very unpleasant experience. Your way sounds so much better. Also, I had alot of trouble plucking, even after scalding, so anything that loosens the feathers is a plus. Knowing me though I'd hit the wrong spot and tighten them, so yes please - a video!!

Animalgirl, from what I've read about the quail, you use a sharp pair of kitchen shears to behead them. That is what I plan to try when my quail are ready.

My hubby wanted me to ask, how exactly do you get the birds into the cone without stressing them? I mean we are getting birds for meat, and we won't be cuddling these guys, so being able to just walk up and pick them up seems unlikely. Won't they get all stressed and tense from us getting them out of the run?

I want to make this as easy as possible for ALL parties involved ya know?

Quote:
We caught them, kept their wings held to their sides so they wouldn't start flapping, and turned them upside down fairly quickly, holding them in that position for a good minute or so before putting them in the cone. It's something we've been doing on occasion with them since the beginning, and they do seem to sort of "go away" when in that position. When you set them down again, it takes them a moment to kind of gather their wits again, like they were in a stupor.

From the time they were placed in the cone until the stick was really quick--I gotta hand it to Alex there.

It's probably a holdover habit from dealing with horses, but we do try to catch the birds and pick them up from time to time, then set them down on the ground and let go again. Just to kind of help them not panic when they're picked up. We don't hold them and pet them or anything (not yet, anyway
tongue.png
), but I feel like we kinda owe it to them to not totally freak them out and fill them with panic on butchering day. Plus it'll come in handy with the laying hens and especially the turkeys, if ever we need to provide medical attention or something like that.

Quote:
Can't read any more tonight. Been sick for the last three days. But your post is very interesting. I would like a better explanation. The method described above is for going into the brain and the eyes just close peacefully. Is your method the same? Do you have to kill them the way you're suggesting? Is it actually the same thing or a different point you're hitting in the brain. Sorry I'm so ignorant on this.

Another thing I had hoped this thread would show is how to dress a bird out. How do you get the guts out, etc.

Thanks,

Sky~

Great job of detailing the experience, ninjapoodles! Beyond the clear background, which was great, you started some really good conversation.

This is my vote for Thread Of The Week.

(no such contest - I just made it up).
wink.png

Quote:
Can't read any more tonight. Been sick for the last three days. But your post is very interesting. I would like a better explanation. The method described above is for going into the brain and the eyes just close peacefully. Is your method the same? Do you have to kill them the way you're suggesting? Is it actually the same thing or a different point you're hitting in the brain. Sorry I'm so ignorant on this.

Another thing I had hoped this thread would show is how to dress a bird out. How do you get the guts out, etc.

Thanks,

Sky~

ninjapoodles way of killing is different than what I do. I slit their throats and they pierce the brain. Either way works. It's the poke in the back of the brain and 1/4 twist that loosens the feathers so you can dry pick them.

A good book to have on hand is Gail Damerow's-A Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. It answers questions on raising them and processing them. Then when your in the middle of processing them you can refer to the book if needed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Sky, the spot to aim for is the upper rear of the skull. It's not a very big skull, so if you just aim for that quadrant, you'll hit it. Just avoid the frontal lobe area, which would be just above the eyes.

There are some great links to butchering instructions, that show photos of evisceration, etc. Look at the first thread in the meat birds section, there are several links there. I don't care for the backwoodshome link, it showing how to skin and cut up, but not how to pluck and dress a whole bird, skin intact, which is what I prefer. But there are several others there, and you can also do a forum search for "processing", "butchering" "dressing" and I'm sure you'll fins a load of info and pics. There's a current thread with a video of one group of members processing their birds. I haven't watched the vid because I have slow dial-up, but there are lots of positive comments about it. I'm sure it would be good to watch.

We were all new at some point! Good luck to you.

My hubby wanted me to ask, how exactly do you get the birds into the cone without stressing them? I mean we are getting birds for meat, and we won't be cuddling these guys, so being able to just walk up and pick them up seems unlikely. Won't they get all stressed and tense from us getting them out of the run?

I want to make this as easy as possible for ALL parties involved ya know?

We walk in the night before and pluck them calmly off the roost and confine them in boxes or crates until the deed is done early in the a.m. If you haven't done this and you have to catch them, a coat hanger with a chicken-leg sized bend at the end works wonderfully. Just go about it calmly and the hens don't get too excited, and sweep it at leg height as they are standing in a corner, when you snag one, just lift gently in the air and it leaves them standing on one leg, unable to run. If done properly this doesn't cause too much excitement.

I prefer getting them off the roost the night before! Quick, quiet, especially if someone holds a flashlight and you don't turn on the coop light. The birds stay pretty calm with the lights out.​

Back
Top Bottom