First Button Quail Hatch…

And #3- Laces!… I’m going with the pied as mentioned above? S/he has a dark belly which from what I can tell is not the case with tuxedos. Unfortunately I don’t really have any photos that show off his white wings.

Attachments

• 64691622-49D8-43A3-B8CF-94AB72C87CE7.jpeg
    64691622-49D8-43A3-B8CF-94AB72C87CE7.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 7
  • C6E4FAB5-4521-475F-841C-D72C9D2ED52D.jpeg
    C6E4FAB5-4521-475F-841C-D72C9D2ED52D.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 4
They are so precious! I had no idea about curled toes and tape, it looks like you did a beautiful job, they're simply gorgeous 💕
Aww! Thank you!! Laces- well Bandit is what my daughter has named him or her is one that she chose to live with us and you wouldn’t even know by looking at him that he hatched with curled toes! I must say I appreciate this site and the knowledge on it so much! After he hatched a quick search allowed us to work fast to help him and I think it really meant the difference between thriving and surviving. I’m so nervous about “Google” info and feel like I would have spent hours cross referencing info before acting.

Pied wing seems to be a specific pattern. "Jazz Hands" has sired at least two offspring with his markings from a tuxedo red breast (possibly fawn or cinnamon pearl too) female, as well as several tuxedo offspring now from the same hen. I know that both pied, pied-wing, and tuxedo are all recessive phenotypes to wild-type.

Dad (Jazz Hands) and Mom (Snow Leopard)
20211001_134952~3.jpg

Jazz Hands Junior, unsexed for now
20211003_101003.jpg

Klaus Nomi, female.
20211003_133444_HDR~2.jpg

Heatherbeast- I’m really struggling to find much on the pied and pied wing… do you know if they all have bibs? I’m assuming sense Bandit’s chest and face have always been yellow that s/he will have a bib and it won’t be a way to sex it. Should I be watching for red feathers to sex him/her?

Oh! I just noticed you said hen… what is the clue to being a girl? That is exciting and my MIL would be very happy with a female. Lol!
During the spring we raised some button quail, and our red breasted hen was this color pattern. Looking back through the pictures, the red breast males were just slightly darker. At hatch, the hen had a pale patch of yellow fluff dividing her head color from her back color but the males were fully chipmunks with yellow bellies.do you know what this one looked like as a brand new hatchling?
IMG_20211004_195914171.jpg

Baby on far left is the same color our girl red breasted was, and the one on the far right matches how the males from that group looked as chicks. These are from our current hatch that popped on October 3rd!
Good luck to you and your MIL, I do hope you have a hen like I got. The red breasted females are some of the prettiest quail in my opinion, so you will be happy to have such a lovely addition to your flock if my guess is correct. I am lucky to have two more this time around that I think will be little ladies, and I'm hoping you have one too!!!

Ooh! That is interesting! This little one did have an empty patch on the back. The photo isn’t brand new hatchling but was taken at 4 days.

Your littles are so cute! I didn’t think I would like the button quail- chickens creep me out but I love our ducks. Haha! I am finding they are the cutest little things to watch inside their enclosure. I really do not need another “obsession” though. 😅

Attachments

• 27E74354-02D2-4C65-BBC6-16A6A4F3C7FF.jpeg
    27E74354-02D2-4C65-BBC6-16A6A4F3C7FF.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 6
Ooh! That is interesting! This little one did have an empty patch on the back. The photo isn’t brand new hatchling but was taken at 4 days.

Your littles are so cute! I didn’t think I would like the button quail- chickens creep me out but I love our ducks. Haha! I am finding they are the cutest little things to watch inside their enclosure. I really do not need another “obsession” though. 😅
Aww so cute! Yes they are fun to watch. They're like living pompoms. They get a little jumpy as they enter adulthood unless you handle them a lot and they are used to you. This group I hatched were from only the friendliest of the quail we had in the first group.

I really have it bad for chickens and rabbits. I used to breed and show them as a high school student. One of my favorite things in the world is hatching eggs to see what the chicks will look like and what their personalities will be! I spent a lot of time in the chicken coop as a kid with my birds. Haha. If we had a pond it'd be the same story for ducks I'm sure.

Currently I can't keep more than six hens where I live, no boys. I have the button quail because they are something I can have breeding pairs of and raise the babies, and the eggs are good hardboiled and put in salad as a garnish.

During the spring we raised some button quail, and our red breasted hen was this color pattern. Looking back through the pictures, the red breast males were just slightly darker. At hatch, the hen had a pale patch of yellow fluff dividing her head color from her back color but the males were fully chipmunks with yellow bellies.do you know what this one looked like as a brand new hatchling?View attachment 2857002
Baby on far left is the same color our girl red breasted was, and the one on the far right matches how the males from that group looked as chicks. These are from our current hatch that popped on October 3rd!
Good luck to you and your MIL, I do hope you have a hen like I got. The red breasted females are some of the prettiest quail in my opinion, so you will be happy to have such a lovely addition to your flock if my guess is correct. I am lucky to have two more this time around that I think will be little ladies, and I'm hoping you have one too!!!
Darth blue face normal and maybe silver, no idea what was said but that's what poped in my head when I saw the babies

Back
Top Bottom