First case of impacted crop - advice

Pics

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
So, one of my hens started laying soft shelled eggs a few days ago. Two days in a row, she laid a soft shell egg from the roost, onto the poop board. Then yesterday, I got a hard shelled egg from her in the nest, but it was not a very hard shell, but still a shell.

Yesterday, I noticed she wasn't really eating, but was drinking a LOT of water all day long. She does seem to be bullied by one of the other hens, who I observed driving her away from the feeder at one point yesterday. In the evening, before they went to roost, I made her 1/2 cup of warm mash, made from their regular layena crumbles, and added a little cod liver oil to it with some scrambled egg. She at it all.

This morning, I checked their crops before letting them out into the run, and the one in question had a full and very solid crop. Very little poop under where she was on the roost last night. Out of caution, I brought her inside, and put her in a dog crate for observation. I gave her only water, with electrolytes for now, and no food.

She has pooped since I brought her in, and it looks fairly normal, though somewhat pasty and smells horrible. By fairly normal, I mean it's contents look about what they always do...bits of sand, broken down fibers..etc. The fibers are from them eating the pine bedding. I know everyone says they won't eat the pine shavings, but mine definitely do. I'm worried that is the cause of this particular hen's issues right now.

In any case, she is pooping a bit, and drinking her water. She seems to be drinking quite a lot of the water actually.

Should I feed her anything at this point? I have massaged her crop, and do so a little every hour. I do have mineral oil available, just not sure if now is the time to get some into her or not.

That is a good picture of a collapsed egg membrane and egg contents. It is good that she is hungry. Offer some watery chicken feed and a little cooked egg. She may still feel bad today with that going on. I would get some antibiotics to give to help prevent infection. Here is one to order that is $23 for 100 ml of liquid baytril:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound given orally twice a day for 5-6 days. That would be 0.25 or 1/4 ml for a 5 pound bird. Do not put it in her water because it tastes bad.

I gave her her normal layer feed crumbles, soaked in water, with a bit of yogurt, and a 1/2 crushed calcium tablet. Her water has electrolytes in it. She gobbled it immediately.

I gave her some more calcium, mixed into more of her layer feed, with a tablespoon of plain yogurt, and 1/5 tablet of oxytetracycline. It’s 250mg per tablet if anyone is wondering. Maybe the ‘cycline will help a little until the good stuff, “Eggsessive” suggested comes in.

Anyone know what dose, and how often, of the oxytetracycline I should use until the Baytril gets here?

She gobbled up the food again. I made her a small perch out of 2x4 scrap that I put in her crate. She happily climbed up on it, and is now “roosting” for the night. I’ll check her crop in the AM. I checked in on her a little while ago, and there was a small pile of poop already under her mini roost.

I’ll see what tomorrow brings. I will take her out to mingle with her flock mates tomorrow. In a crate, but in their run. I think she will like that.

Should I feed her anything at this point? I have massaged her crop, and do so a little every hour. I do have mineral oil available, just not sure if now is the time to get some into her or not.
If she were mine i would tube fluids, lots of fluids. I would not give mineral oil. Can you post a picture of her poop?

I gave her some scrambled eggs with 5ml of mineral oil. She gobbled that up like she was starving. She's still drinking water. Oh, and before I gave her the scrambled eggs, I felt her crop and it had gone down considerably. Almost to the point of being normal, as one would expect first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom