First chicken coop build, what do you think? (Pic heavy)

Artv

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
Central Minnesota
New chicken owners and first coop build. We have 15 hens which will be moving in in the next week or so. The coop is 7 x 8 and the covered run portion is the same for a total size of 7 x 16. The pictures should show most of the details other than the completed run fencing. I am using chicken wire around the whole run and to cover the rafter spacing. The bottom 3 feet around the run will have 1/2" hardware with as well and the entire perimeter has 1 /2" hardware cloth buried 1 2" deep. All wire is heavily stapled.
2020-05-29_18-40-36_381.jpg
2020-06-01_20-04-15_963.jpg
2020-06-01_20-05-05_570.jpg
2020-06-01_20-05-56_217.jpg
2020-06-01_20-06-21_099.jpg

New chicken owners and first coop build. We have 15 hens which will be moving in in the next week or so. The coop is 7 x 8 and the covered run portion is the same for a total size of 7 x 16. The pictures should show most of the details other than the completed run fencing. I am using chicken wire around the whole run and to cover the rafter spacing. The bottom 3 feet around the run will have 1/2" hardware with as well and the entire perimeter has 1 /2" hardware cloth buried 1 2" deep. All wire is heavily stapled.View attachment 2180328View attachment 2180334View attachment 2180336View attachment 2180352View attachment 2180354
Looks really good! I will say that some predators (raccoons) will reach through the chicken wire with their tiny evil hands and can actually grab the chickens from outside. If you don't have raccoons near you that shouldn't reaaaaaaaaaaally be a problem, just thought I'd mention it. Otherwise, looks great! I love the color.

We have 15 hens which will be moving in in the next week or so.
Spacing might be tight for 15 birds.

Chicken wire is not predator proof, it'll keep chicken in but many preds can chew right thru it. best to cover it with heavier mesh like 14ga 2x4 welded mesh.

The rope to open the pop door into the run is at an angle, needs to go straight up then over to side to work well.

Nice big roof overhangs, use 1/2" HC to cover open soffits.

Looks like a nice sturdy build.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Artv
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591490664819.png

I really like your nice big eaves. And 2 doors is nice, too. All that nice green grass outside the run -- do they get to go out there and beak it, too? Because grass in the outside run is short-lived! :welcome

Spacing might be tight for 15 birds.

Chicken wire is not predator proof, it'll keep chicken in but many preds can chew right thru it. best to cover it with heavier mesh like 14ga 2x4 welded mesh.

The rope to open the pop door into the run is at an angle, needs to go straight up then over to side to work well.

Nice big roof overhangs, use 1/2" HC to cover open soffits.

Looks like a nice sturdy build.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Artv
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2180656
I will have hardware cloth there feet up the side, do I need to go all the way up? I was planning to cover the open eaves with chicken wire, should that be hardware cloth as well?

The rope is run through swivel pulleys and functions well at this point.

Last edited:
I really like your nice big eaves. And 2 doors is nice, too. All that nice green grass outside the run -- do they get to go out there and beak it, too? Because grass in the outside run is short-lived! :welcome
Yes, they will have the chance to roam around as well.

I will have hardware cloth there feet up the side, do I need to go all the way up? I was planning to cover the open eaves with chicken wire, should that be hardware cloth as well?

The rope is run through swivel pulleys and functions well at this point.
Depends on your tolerance for risk, lots of stuff can get thru chicken wire, not so much HC.
Lots of different ways to mesh a run. My coop is HC all the way, pretty much impenetrable.
Run is 2x4ww with an apron of same, but I am home and in sight/sound 95% of the time.

Was thinking the angled rope connected door might jam door in tracks from uneven pull.

Depends on your tolerance for risk, lots of stuff can get thru chicken wire, not so much HC.
Lots of different ways to mesh a run. My coop is HC all the way, pretty much impenetrable.
Run is 2x4ww with an apron of same, but I am home and in sight/sound 95% of the time.

Was thinking the angled rope connected door might jam door in tracks from uneven pull.
I bought some more hardware cloth today… peace of mind is definitely worth the cost… I was already questioning the chicken wire.

The rope angle actually helps in the function of the door. It pulls the door vertically in the tracks and just slightly away from the building to clear the top stop for full travel. As it moves there is no side to side play but it is not tight.

Back
Top Bottom