First Chicken Coop

deepeasttexas

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
DeepEastTexas
I am almost done with our coop and run. Just need two windows and the ramps so they can get to the nest and roost. Then wire on the run and it's chicken time.

Nice Setup ..We Are Starting Ours this weekend and keep seeing more and more ideas so can't make up our minds on the final build lol

I am almost done with our coop and run. Just need two windows and the ramps so they can get to the nest and roost. Then wire on the run and it's chicken time.

Holy cow don't show this to my chickens. They may want me to upgrade them. Right now they are in one of those cheap prefab coops. It is not the best but all I could afford for now.

OK I just saw you are in TX.

You may need to fashion a large screen 1/2 inch hardware cloth door to go across the front of both doors (so the metal doors remain open in summer and they are protected by hardware cloth) for adequate ventilation.

One of my coops is just like yours but I don't have chickens in it at the moment...it will be very hot in summer and all is well until nightfall when you have to close the door. So I put fans in there but if I lived in TX I would just make another door so they can breathe in there at night.

I hope this helps!

Make it sturdy when you attach it, if you decide to go this route, so raccoons don't rip the door off.

The run will enclose the entire front of the coop with hardware cloth one foot underground to three feet above ground. Then poultry wire on the next four feet. The top will be covered so they have some shade. Thanks for the advice.

The run will enclose the entire front of the coop with hardware cloth one foot underground to three feet above ground. Then poultry wire on the next four feet. The top will be covered so they have some shade. Thanks for the advice.
Welded wire fencing is stronger than chicken wire and I pay $100 for 100 feet of it at Home Depot. Raccoons can rip through chicken wire as if it isn't there. You can even put the welded wire on top too. Be aware that only 1/2 inch hardware cloth will keep out rats and weasels, which kill chickens. They climb so if you are dependent on the fencing to protect them at night you may want to do more hardware cloth.

Here(not my coop):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ace-coop-progress-pictures-included

Last edited:
I finally got the 2 windows in and finished the inside, except for a roof vent. The weather was terrible here yesterday and I didn't get much done.

Can some one tell me how deep the wood chips should be to start ?

Back
Top Bottom