First chicken egg! Can we hatch this under an injured chicken

WirrelSimpson

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
OK, long story short!

Having a very interesting time with 8 young silkie bantams (from chicks) and 2 x bee hives we certainly have our hands full!

We have one chicken which I believe has been injured while being mated, I think she's a bit too young and wasn't ready for it, of our 8 little silkies, the first one layed an egg today!

Our injured chicken is currently in a box in the house and can't really move one of her legs, which were hoping should get better.. But she can't really use it at all, first question does anyone have any advice with similar problems / leg or hip injuries, she seems to dislike being touched high up on the leg where it joins her pelvis / hip and generally won't use her leg or bend it,

From what I've read, she may have to be inside with us for 2-3 weeks in the best case... Which has me thinking...

Has anybody ever hatched the first egg one of their chickens produced (as they are generally smaller) and can we put the egg under the chicken which cannot walk successfully (assuming we help turn the egg)??? I'm interested in all thoughts / advice / help, thanks!

wouldn’t try it. If she’s not broody she may kick the egg to the side, eat it, trample it, poop on it. And just generally wouldn’t care for it. If you’ve got 8 silkies I doubt it will be long before you get an actual broody who will care for a nest and chicks.

Hi, sorry to hear about the injured hen. Here's a forum for emergencies and injuries:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

To sum my non-veterinary understanding, I had an injured pullet and used this, and other sites, for guidance along with that of experienced chicken keepers.

Any chance you can take it to a vet just for an x-ray? you could save yourself a lot of heartache and save the bird further pain and suffering, just knowing what you're dealing with. My hen had an injured hock, but you're describing the femur and hip, which totally changes things as far as what can be done.

Surprisingly, birds can have metacam and/or aspirin for pain/inflamation, but I seriously would wait for an expert here. You'll have to decide how long to give your bird to heal on its own before you or a vet intervenes.

Good luck!

Don’t do it, if she’s not broody her temperature will be too low.when a chicken is broody their temperature rises enough for them to hatch an egg. Also the first egg chick will not develop and if it does it will die before it reaches 21 days because the egg is too small for the check. Don’t worry silkies are a very broody breed. Soon you’ll get a real Broody and and some eggs that are at the proper size.

Don’t do it, if she’s not broody her temperature will be too low.when a chicken is broody their temperature rises enough for them to hatch an egg. Also the first egg chick will not develop and if it does it will die before it reaches 21 days because the egg is too small for the check. Don’t worry silkies are a very broody breed. Soon you’ll get a real Broody and and some eggs that are at the proper size.
Their temperature doesn't raise when they're broody. Chickens naturally are higher temperatures than humans

You could put a little pile of eggs (I suggest golf balls as a test) in her pen but away from where she is sleeping, to test if she's interested. She might decide to go broody when she keeps seeing the pile of eggs, and will move herself over there, or use her beak to roll them under herself. Like the others said, I would not just place them under her while she isn't moving well, as she won't be in Mama mode.

I currently have a one year old hen in a pen healing from a leg injury, and she has elected to go broody after I left a couple eggs off to the side in the corner for a few days. Your hen is quite young, so I'd be a little surprised if those hormones have kicked in yet, but you never know.

First eggs can be hatchable, but more problems and health issues in the chicks.

I personally wait until my pullets are hens and laying normal sized eggs before I let a broody hatch the eggs. I feel more comfortable allowing her to hatch normal eggs and not the small pullet eggs.

Back
Top Bottom