First chickens and Coop!

Chix-in-GA

Songster
11 Years
Nov 17, 2008
Nashville, GA
Hello all...Let me start with saying "We are totally new to the chicken thing". I just finished building my first coop and have really enjoyed the whole process of building it.

My co-workers has chickens and he gave us a few hens and a rooster to start off with. We also have a wonderful New Hampshire Red that is more like a pet than anything. He basically has run of the property.

Here are some pics...and please let me know if you see anything that does not seem right. Like I said we are totally new to chickens but I think we are hooked!

18722_100_0934.jpg

I will be putting windows in later this week.

18722_100_0935.jpg

18722_100_0936.jpg

18722_100_0939.jpg

Thanks in advance for any helpul hints.

You've done a wonderful job, congratulations.
I have a couple of questions.

Is the run covered? If not you might want to do that, it's wonderful protection from predators.

Have you thought about putting a patio block just outside the pop door? Keeps their feet cleaner, and it helps to have come concrete available because birds like to sharpen their beaks and use it to clean sticky stuff off, too.

What size is the chicken mesh? Couldn't tell from the photos, 1/2" is generally recommended. Larger keeps the chickens in, smaller keeps everything else out. Is the mesh partly underground?

At any rate, like the rest of you you've begun a terrific adventure of learning and fun! I'm still modifying mine...
lol.png

Since it looks like your down in Ga, you may want to add some hardware cloth around the bottom of the run. Otherwise the coons are going to find them pretty quick.

Wow! Great start! The suggestions that others have posted are pretty much my only concerns as well. You certainly did your research!

Thank you for your comments...

Yes the run is covered on top as well. I used 1" wire all around. Hopefully it will keep out the bad stuff. But I might change that in the future.

The wire is in the ground about 6" or so.

I will put a concrete block by the pop door for sure. thank you for the info about sharpening their beaks, was totally unaware of that.

Hardware cloth around the bottom...got it! thanks

I do have another question...Should I have any concerns about having the rooster in with the hens all the time? I see that alot of people just have hens...thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
You may want to get the hardware cloth on sooner than later. A coon or fox is going to rip that apart as soon as they smell the chickens, and then you won't have many to worry bout with the rooster.

Very nice job. Will be great once the windows are in also.

Last edited:
Coop looks comfy inside.......nice job!
The roost may be a little high, jumping down they could hurt themselves. But really It's hard to judge the distance from a photo, it could be just fine...
Don't be disappointed if they ignore the nest boxes and lay the eggs on the floor underneath, mine totally ignore the nests and lay in an old cheese wheel container.
sad.png

I always try to keep a roo in with my hens even when I don't want to hatch babies. The roo watches out for the hens and will alert them if predators are around. And many roos will protect their girls to the death in times of attack. Even the birds that are in a pen and don't free range have their roo.

And good job on the coop!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom