First cocktail hand fed baby learning ahead of time

Harnesses require training to be used, don't tie anything to their legs ever, I have never put a bird in a diaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Topeakmart-W...VSZVF8Y/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07VSZVF8Y&psc=1

this size cage is ideal
Not tie it's a ankle ring for parrots, are those frowned upon ? As for the velvet rings I have successfully used on coturnix with great results and they are so soft it don't hurt or chafe but idk for cocktail and am willing to train it for harness cuz I want to take them outside a little like to get the mail or walk to the corner

😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-151201~2.png
    Screenshot_20220119-151201~2.png
    339 KB · Views: 5
@Serin has already given you tons of great information, I wish you the best with your new baby!

Just wanted to add, weaned parrots can regress back to needing formula due to the stress of a new environment. So even if she's offering weaned birds you may still be put in the position of having to hand feed formula. Make sure you have everything on hand just in case.

@Serin has already given you tons of great information, I wish you the best with your new baby!

Just wanted to add, weaned parrots can regress back to needing formula due to the stress of a new environment. So even if she's offering weaned birds you may still be put in the position of having to hand feed formula. Make sure you have everything on hand just in case.
That is extremely good to know I'll get what brand she uses just to have in case it happens, see this is why I made a post such great information, I feel like there's more to learn can anyone point me to any posts they think helpful, I love learning all I can😊

I hand rear cockatiels and they should be kept by the breeder for at least 1 week after they refuse formula (it should not be withheld - you feed them until they refuse it) before they move to their new home and I keep them for 2 weeks after they refuse formula, just to be sure. Even ones that wean particularly early I keep until they are 8 weeks old.

There's nothing wrong with feeding them seeds as long as it is complemented with greens and sprouts (and treats).

I adore our cockatiels and I've found them to be very adaptable. Ours come out at specific times of the day and are out for maybe an hour. Once they are tired they want to go back to their cage. They will get used to your routine.

One of our pet boys doesn't like it when we have babies in the house and he stays in his cage, refusing to come out and interact with them when they are out. He loves our son though and is the sweetest bird.

If the breeder cannot sex them for you (sometimes they can be sexed by their mutations) I would just get one and then you can decide if you want to get it a buddy (same sex) or a mate. We have one boy who has in the past formed unhealthy attachments to other birds (not always of the opposite sex either) and this has made him extremely nippy and grumpy.
His cage mate (another boy) is company for him but he doesn't have that same unhealthy attachment to him - in fact they argue over who should get all the head scratches.

We also have two hand reared girls, sisters, who now live in our aviary and they will really fight over who should get head scratches from the humans. One will bite us hard for scratching her sister!

So in some situations a second bird isn't always the best idea and each cockatiel is a unique little character, and sometimes personalities can clash.

I want a weaned baby so I can grow the attachment
I know this is a bit late, but have 3 cockatiels (2 girls and a boy), I got them when they were about 5-6wks old and had to hand feed them daily. It's not as hard as some say- I had no prior experience and I was on a 1 month trip across 11 states. (Imagine hand feeding at truck stops & the "feed me I'm hungry" scream at 4am in a hotel😆)

I understand wanting the attachment/clingy baby; I'm the same way with my pets. As for the screaming... doesn't seem to go away, even with multiple. My 3 were raised together by the breeder, and then by myself, but for the most part they ignore one another even when they're in the same cage. I will say though, when the girls cross paths, they DO NOT like each other. But every bird/situation is different.

The breeder you mentioned sounds legit; prices tend to vary from breeder to breeder, some will ask $340 for a lutino while others will ask $180 (the price of one of mine.) What I looked for when I got mine was someone who actually cared for the birds and wasn't breeding/pumping out babies factory style... all my pets except for my tiels are rescues, so I wouldn't accept anything less😅

I wish you the best with your baby. They're amazing pets.
(They also seem to get along fairly well with button quail- I have 5 rescue roos as well😂)

Back
Top Bottom