First coop build in Michigan - I should have done this years ago. Pics..

3) Duck pond: My first 50-gallon bin worked fine when the ducks were small. Now that they are near full size, only one duck can use it at a time. I built a larger one out of 4x4 landscape timbers lined with a plastic tarp. I made a ledge of "Trex-like" plastic decking for the top. Plenty of room for all three.
IMG_4300_HEIC.jpg

Next problem: fresh water when freezing. I ran a black plastic sprinkler line down to feed the duck pond fresh water. BUT - this entire line has two sections that are exposed to the elements. So - I either need to heat the line, or blow it out after every use. I chose the second option. I bought a wifi-enabled 4-channel sprinkler timer from Home Depot and four 24-volt ball valves off Amazon. I also bought a small air compressor and 5-gallon air tank. My wife has a separate garden that I need to water as well. So - I plumbed up this contraption in my heated basement. I can send water to the ducks during winter and then flush compressed air down that line to blow out the water. The timer controls the whole thing. They get 30 minutes of fresh water flow every day. I also put a small pond heater in to keep ice from forming. So far, it has survived the first 4 freezing nights. We will see if it makes it the entire winter.
IMG_4325_HEIC.jpg

IMG_4326_HEIC.jpg

5) Duck box: My cute pink duck-shaped opening box was a disaster. They pecked it to shreds in short order (as many had predicted!!). So - Version 2 is a Husky storage bin from Home Depot with a large cut opening sitting upside down. No problems.
IMG_3821_HEIC.jpg

IMG_3847_HEIC.jpg

They love to peck that insulation. I removed all the pink foam panels below the coop as they stood on teh duck box and pecked from their. For the panels on the inside of the coop, I covered them with 1/8" Masonite board. That seems to be working.

6) Ring Video Doorbells. I want to be able to check on the coop and run anytime. In particular, I like to look inside the coop at night to confirm that all 10 of my birds are safely cooped-up. I love these Ring 2 Video Doorbells. The give a great image and their batteries go several weeks on one charge. Here are my pics:
IMG_4522.png

IMG_3864.png

:thumbsup So many good ideas, it looks great. Over time, you will make some changes as issues come to light. That's the natural progression of things, trial and error, change, tweek, correct things you decide need it. No one builds a first facility " perfect" the first attempt. In order to be able to point out issues, you first have had to go thru that process yourself, made the mistakes, corrected them and learned. It may all work flawlessly, it may not, the process and time will tell. Good job!

Another upgrade for winter. I'm worried about snow drifting into the run, but I still want to see the chickens and ducks walking around. My solution was to add 2-foot-high sections of 1/8" polycarbonate "plexiglas" all around the run. It turned out reasonably well. We will see how it makes it through the winter. The Lexan they sell at Home Depot is crazy expensive. My local Amro Steel supplier sells thinner stuff for 1/3 the price. It is still not cheap.
IMG_4524_HEIC.jpg

IMG_4507_HEIC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom