First coop finished! ~pics~

That is a very impressive first attempt. It will be so easy to clean out - that's really important. I agree that you need to put some heavy wire mesh over the vents. All sorts of things will try to get in if you don't.

Chickens are in!

Keeping them inside for today, but to be fair its probably more room than their used to anyways - had 3 of them in one nest box earlier and another trying to squeeze in too!

64892_dscf3219.jpg

64892_dscf3228.jpg

64892_dscf3226.jpg

64892_dscf3227.jpg

They look like they're really checking the place out.

They look like big girls, so I would change out that little round roost for a 2 x 4 with the wide side up so they don't have to grip and balance all night long.

Be sure to show them in the run in a week or two.

Looking at their pics, knowing the life they've been forced to live vs. the one they're just beginning, makes me overjoyed for them. Great job!
thumbsup.gif

A good coop and a good deed. You rock!

Just like many others have said, you'll need heavy wire (not chicken wire) all around that pen and those vents. And as you say, you need windows for light. But you did a great job.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

They look like they're really checking the place out.

They look like big girls, so I would change out that little round roost for a 2 x 4 with the wide side up so they don't have to grip and balance all night long.

Be sure to show them in the run in a week or two.

I read about the 2x4 perch allot. Why is this such a big deal. Birds roost in trees & tree branches are round. Just curious. My birds roost on a clothes pin. They haven't complained yet.​

I think what you are doing for those girls is very kind hearted & noble. They have never in thier lives been treated with any TLC, so what you are doing for them is so much more than they have ever had. I am sure they will come out of thier shells & be just fine. Kudos to both of you!!
bow.gif

keep us updated on thier journey it will be interesting I am sure.

Last edited:
Quote:
I laughed when I read that! We rent our house and aren't allowed to let them free range so I insisted I wanted a moveable coop so they could have fresh grass.

Hubby is a cabinet maker and insisted it had to be sturdy and well made. Which = heavy!

So now we have the middle ground between the two - it is pretty sturdy and just about moveable if there are two of us trying really hard.

It was meant to be on stilts but ended up being too heavy :-(

Back
Top Bottom