First Coop! Im Clucking Crazy For Chickens!

CollinfromKC

Chirping
Feb 12, 2018
Started my first coop today. After a lot of searching for pre built coops and used on cragslist...i just started new. I had a basic idea on size, but also a look that wouldnt be an eyesore. Being im not a carpenter, hopefully the decorative stuff can mask any none perfect cuts...i mean i measured twice and all, but im just a simple man. Lol well the inside stuff is where id love to hear advice. Height of things, any tricks to help birds be more comfortable and happy. So far, its 4x8 floor framed on cinderblocks. 7 foot rear with 8 ft front. Had an old storm door with window im going to cut a hole for them on diwn low. Buddy suggested that iraise it, guess ill pull a car jack out because i cant afford to throw my back out. For the roof i could do a few things, im between plywood and shingles or corrigated steel or plastic. Im in kansas city so not sure what would be best. Im hoping to put in windows depending what i have laying around. And i plan on fencing a small area in for them to roam, dimensions to be determined. Any suggestions on types on chickens (had no clue there were so many!) for a rookie, im all ears! Thanks guys. Cool site.

Attachments

• Resized_20180214_145519.jpeg
    Resized_20180214_145519.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Resized_20180214_150759.jpeg
    Resized_20180214_150759.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 31
Looks good!!!
Started my first coop today. After a lot of searching for pre built coops and used on cragslist...i just started new. I had a basic idea on size, but also a look that wouldnt be an eyesore. Being im not a carpenter, hopefully the decorative stuff can mask any none perfect cuts...i mean i measured twice and all, but im just a simple man. Lol well the inside stuff is where id love to hear advice. Height of things, any tricks to help birds be more comfortable and happy. So far, its 4x8 floor framed on cinderblocks. 7 foot rear with 8 ft front. Had an old storm door with window im going to cut a hole for them on diwn low. Buddy suggested that iraise it, guess ill pull a car jack out because i cant afford to throw my back out. For the roof i could do a few things, im between plywood and shingles or corrigated steel or plastic. Im in kansas city so not sure what would be best. Im hoping to put in windows depending what i have laying around. And i plan on fencing a small area in for them to roam, dimensions to be determined. Any suggestions on types on chickens (had no clue there were so many!) for a rookie, im all ears! Thanks guys. Cool site.

Thanks guys and gals. What types of chickens do you all love? So far im leaning welsummer(3), and Easter Egger(3), and an orpington(1). Is that even possible?! I guess i really just want different eggs and a few type of birds, figured starting em all together young would help. Well anywho ive got to go research my inside designs and my roof im going to go with. Help is always appreciated!! Thanks!

Hoping to get close to this, fingers crossed. And also still curious your favorite docile, less noisy birds you suggest.

Attachments

• farmhouse-shed.jpg
    farmhouse-shed.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 30
Vents and windows will be next along with roof, still no advice on roof or types of chickens though! And yea profile needs some love haha but CollinfromKC is a good hint ;)

So far marans and the red sex links are my favorite(even though they only lay for two years) but I’m expanding this spring and I am hatching my first mixed batch in the incubator! Can’t wait to see what fluffy babies I will have on March 4!!!
Welcome to BYC!!
Thanks guys and gals. What types of chickens do you all love? So far im leaning welsummer(3), and Easter Egger(3), and an orpington(1). Is that even possible?! I guess i really just want different eggs and a few type of birds, figured starting em all together young would help. Well anywho ive got to go research my inside designs and my roof im going to go with. Help is always appreciated!! Thanks!

Your chicken choice is fine. Leave your front and back sofits open, for ventilation, but cover them with 1/2" hardware cloth. Don't use a metal roof, unless you put plywood down first, or you will have condensation issues inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom