First Coop! Im Clucking Crazy For Chickens!

Vents and windows will be next along with roof, still no advice on roof or types of chickens though! And yea profile needs some love haha but CollinfromKC is a good hint ;)
I have a welsummer..she is not loud, a little shy but sweet. Also have an orpington..like a puppy dog but can be loud. My third girl is a speckled sussex..not friendly but not mean..she likes to complain lol

Your chicken choice is fine. Leave your front and back sofits open, for ventilation, but cover them with 1/2" hardware cloth. Don't use a metal roof, unless you put plywood down first, or you will have condensation issues inside the coop.
Or some foam board.

Go bigger, 4' is tight.

Well basically the ol lady didnt want a chicken farm in back lol but i really wanted an 8x8..after the prebuilt ones i saw i figured this was like a mansion for them! And money is always a factor! Haha im getting married september 1st so small steps. But! Im doing a huge run for them(10x20ish) and could build out the nesting boxes to make it a true 4x8 floor.....i feel like when i started smoking meat and there are a 1000 different ways to get delicious burnt ends... haha thanks for all the replies, soon as my next round of money comes ill be ready to finish this with everyones insight!

Oh, and i chose 4x8 becauce the studs were already 8 foot and the plywood was, so only had to cut the back studs to seven foot and a few others, then the plywood of course. But i took the easy way i guess...:barnie

If i have to have less birds i guess ill live.. but i wanted at least six little guys! Can i achieve the dream with a 4x8 and the run?!

6 birds will fit in a 4x8 OK.....problems come when you start putting in roosts and nests and feeders and waterers and.....it gets crowded fast, for them and especially for you moving around in there. Outboard nests are a very good idea in a 4x8.

Stacking up heights
also poses a problem when they need room to fly down.
If you want poop boards...then things can really get crowded.
Adding birds down the road, not enough space left to partition off coop for integration. I planned a 4x6 integration space, I dearly wish it was larger, the 4' width is tight(oh 3' after 1'[too small] poop board).

Put your run off the 4' end of coop, leaving the 8' side accessible for expansion ;)

So i used roof and foundation coating on inside floor and on the roof, ten gallons total. After a drying (its thick could be a week),ill be ready to build out the inside and put straw down. Only doing 4 birds to start. Guess ill build the run while it dries and then fill gaps and paint.

Attachments

• 20180314_105634.jpg
    20180314_105634.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180314_162836.jpg
    20180314_162836.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180314_162822.jpg
    20180314_162822.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180314_162810.jpg
    20180314_162810.jpg